Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia cafes opening in Shannon and Ennis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Red Clover

Pity there are not more local coffee shops rather than these large chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Red Clover wrote: »
    Pity there are not more local coffee shops rather than these large chains.
    I don't have a problem with an Irish success story like Insomina.

Insomina is owned by Kilkenny man, Bobbie Kerr. He started off with one shop in 1997 and now has 90 outlets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Any info on where it will be in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

It's in the tesco shopping centre next to Pennys in Ennis. In Shannon i think its in the shanno shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

mel.b wrote: »
    It's in the tesco shopping centre next to Pennys in Ennis. In Shannon i think its in the shanno shopping centre

Yeah, the Shannon one is where Xtravision used to be.

BTW, there's also a new cafe in Ennis in behind Centra at the old Shiels site on the Gort Road. I can't remember the name of it, but it looked to be doing good business the last time I was down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with an Irish success story like Insomina.

Insomina is owned by Kilkenny man, Bobbie Kerr. He started off with one shop in 1997 and now has 90 outlets :)

Agreed, I'd much rather them than the rip-off fest that is Costa.

Insomnia's stuff is way nicer anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭black & white

I've visited the one in Shannon 4 times since it opened and the service and coffee are variable. The last flat white I got had 3/4 foam and there have been times the milk has been overheated. I realise that it's a new place and I'm willing to give them another chance but they would want to get their act together soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yeah Costa is very dear really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

buck65 wrote: »
    Yeah Costa is very dear really.

One could say, it Costa lot... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Costa may be expensive (the nibbles certainly are) but if good coffee, consistently well prepared by someone other than yourself or the people who have to put up with you is what you're after, it is the only show in Ennis. Then again people go into coffee shops and drink tea, so that wouldn't be an issue for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I got a very flat cappucinno that smelt a bit overheated in Insomnia Ennis the other day; just mentioned it to the girl who made it and she replaced it with a larger size (very good, as were the other 3 I've bought there since they opened) and also gave me a token for a free drink next time, as well as apologising very nicely.
    I like Costa coffee in general but not a fan of the Ennis branch - find it poky and generally a bit grubby, and the service and coffee quality are hit and miss. I spilled a hot drink there once because one of the 'baristas' barged past me and knocked it out of my hand... they didn't even offer to replace it and had to be asked to provide a cloth to clean up the table and floor.
    I like Insomnia so far, spacious and clean, friendly staff, great addition to the centre.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Balagan wrote: »
    Costa may be expensive (the nibbles certainly are) but if good coffee, consistently well prepared by someone other than yourself or the people who have to put up with you is what you're after, it is the only show in Ennis. Then again people go into coffee shops and drink tea, so that wouldn't be an issue for them!

Try Suas in Ennis...

Really excellent quality Coffee..

There's a new record shop/cafe in Ennis, in that little carpark at the back of the community centre (we always called it Moran's carpark, it's accessed from the Market and there's a back door of DV8 that leads out to it). Had a really nice coffee from there today. I always forget about Suas!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

dee_mc wrote: »
    There's a new record shop/cafe in Ennis, in that little carpark at the back of the community centre (we always called it Moran's carpark, it's accessed from the Market and there's a back door of DV8 that leads out to it). Had a really nice coffee from there today. I always forget about Suas!

I always call it the Diamond carpark, that's more to do where I'd be more likely to be going to from there though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Try Suas in Ennis...

Really excellent quality Coffee..

Where about is Suas?

Suas is on O'Connell street, nearly across from Mary Kelly's, beside Neylons's clothes shop.
    I've never managed to have a coffee there as the first time I tried there were no available tables and a queue, then the second time the wait time was mental - it took ten minutes for them to take the order and another 30 minutes before we gave up and cancelled it before the parking ticket ran out! That was ages ago though, when the place was quite new, so hopefully they've sorted things out in the meantime.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

dee_mc wrote: »
    Suas is on O'Connell street, nearly across from Mary Kelly's, beside Neylons's clothes shop.
    I've never managed to have a coffee there as the first time I tried there were no available tables and a queue, then the second time the wait time was mental - it took ten minutes for them to take the order and another 30 minutes before we gave up and cancelled it before the parking ticket ran out! That was ages ago though, when the place was quite new, so hopefully they've sorted things out in the meantime.

Is definitely not the place for a quick drive by coffee.. but if you aren't in a rush, it's worth the wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

Thanks, I'll give it a try some day

Advertisement