Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE2 Soccer Old Matches

Options
  • 16-11-2015 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knew if there are old RTE2 soccer games with Eamon Dumphy, John Giles, Liam Brady & Bill O Herlihy that are available online or can you request from RTE for them to be sent out to you? I enjoy these guys debating over games and would like to see if I could get my hands on a good collection of their debates over the years. Does anyone know when they first became a pundit team on RTE2 as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone knew if there are old RTE2 soccer games with Eamon Dumphy, John Giles, Liam Brady & Bill O Herlihy that are available online or can you request from RTE for them to be sent out to you? I enjoy these guys debating over games and would like to see if I could get my hands on a good collection of their debates over the years. Does anyone know when they first became a pundit team on RTE2 as well?

Could be wrong but it was either 86 or 88 and I think the farewell to bill o herlihy showed them in the late 70s (he's there anyway, just a still).

http://youtu.be/YzYJT_8VfYw

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Elmo wrote: »
    Could be wrong but it was either 86 or 88 and I think the farewell to bill o herlihy showed them in the late 70s (he's there anyway, just a still).

http://youtu.be/YzYJT_8VfYw

Oh wow they have been at it nearly 30 years or more with the lads and thanks for the tribute link but is there anywhere you know of where you can get the matches with the lads probably from 2000s on wards I would assume that's when they started to get funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Could be wrong on the years but roughly speaking I think O'Herlihy and Dunphy started doing it in '78, Giles joined in '86 and Brady in '98. They may not be exact years though.

You'll find some memorable interactions on Youtube but never seen a collection or similar available. There would be rights issues around any match footage but as it happens they usually have a general debate for about 20 mins then go to a break before showing any highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Italy 90 was the best, I remember having a tee-shirt with the writing "Give it a lash Jack" and a picture of Charlton giving Dunphy a kick up the behind!

Re-runs of old sporting occasions would be a good addition if RTE was ever to have a sports channel or a "reeling in the sports years" programme.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If you haven't already seen it, look out for repeats of Après Match of the Day in the schedule. It's a spoof look at old football matches (not all involving the Republic of Ireland) and quite funny. The actual match footage is real, though the commentary has been replaced with Après Match guys doing their thing.

• Advertisement

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    Could be wrong on the years but roughly speaking I think O'Herlihy and Dunphy started doing it in '78, Giles joined in '86 and Brady in '98. They may not be exact years though.

You'll find some memorable interactions on Youtube but never seen a collection or similar available. There would be rights issues around any match footage but as it happens they usually have a general debate for about 20 mins then go to a break before showing any highlights.

AH right so Dumphy has been at it for a long time then over 35 years Giles nearly 30 and Liam just over 15 its a good collection of near 100 years between the 3. And yes I have seen a lot of Youtube in the years, but can't imagine there are any rights issues when RTE bought rights to show certain games whether it be Ireland games, Champions League games, Euros or World Cups. I was wondering if you contact RTE would they able to send them out perhaps for a small cost? There are 100s probably even 1000s of games with these 3 on and even ones where it doesn't have this exact combination would be great to see. They do the pre match, the half time and the analysis after it totals up to probably near 1 hour of content.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Italy 90 was the best, I remember having a tee-shirt with the writing "Give it a lash Jack" and a picture of Charlton giving Dunphy a kick up the behind!

Re-runs of old sporting occasions would be a good addition if RTE was ever to have a sports channel or a "reeling in the sports years" programme.

Thats good you have fond memories I was pretty young at Italia 1990 can't remember it. And yes your right would be nice to see older content where they do reruns of all this stuff, do you know if you can acquire old content from RTE?

icdg wrote: »
    If you haven't already seen it, look out for repeats of Après Match of the Day in the schedule. It's a spoof look at old football matches (not all involving the Republic of Ireland) and quite funny. The actual match footage is real, though the commentary has been replaced with Après Match guys doing their thing.

Oh I have seen some Apres Match that would be a good collection to have as well, because they do such a great job with the impersonations. Would they have their own DVD or collections available out there?

Oh I have seen some Apres Match that would be a good collection to have as well, because they do such a great job with the impersonations. Would they have their own DVD or collections available out there?

Apres Match release I think 3 DVDs in the late 2000s going back to Barry Murphy's time on The End (Late night programme on RTE2 around 1993), following that they started Apres Match for 1996 tournament? Definitely their for France 1998

Only reason to watch 3rd place play off, particularly when they got it so right one year. Germany V ?

Apres Match release I think 3 DVDs in the late 2000s going back to Barry Murphy's time on The End (Late night programme on RTE2 around 1993), following that they started Apres Match for 1996 tournament? Definitely their for France 1998

Only reason to watch 3rd place play off, particularly when they got it so right one year. Germany V ?

Would they be available online to purchase or even perhaps watch them in some place, if you know of anywhere would be greatly appreciated. I still would like to know if anyone knows if you contacted RTE would they be able to give you copies of old games?

• Advertisement

Would they be available online to purchase or even perhaps watch them in some place, if you know of anywhere would be greatly appreciated. I still would like to know if anyone knows if you contacted RTE would they be able to give you copies of old games?

Games rights don't stay with the broadcaster, they are retained by the owners. Commentary would be held with the broadcaster.

If anywhere you will find someone in RTE Archives that might help.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/

and for the après match DVD's the RTE shop

http://shop.rte.ie/Product/The-Last-Ever-Apres-Match-DVD-in-The-World-Ever-DVD/2449/2239

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I seen a great programme on RTE this year "Italy 90" the great memories that held the nation, all the usual craic in studio and a famous clip with a Charlton clash with Dunphy in a pre match press conference.

Games rights don't stay with the broadcaster, they are retained by the owners. Commentary would be held with the broadcaster.

If anywhere you will find someone in RTE Archives that might help.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/

and for the après match DVD's the RTE shop

http://shop.rte.ie/Product/The-Last-Ever-Apres-Match-DVD-in-The-World-Ever-DVD/2449/2239

But how long do games rights stay with someone who purchased them for? But all the commentary over the years in the studio thats what I really would like. The game would be a bonus as to rewatch some classic games then seen the banter in the studio. Is there much in the RTE archives? Thanks for the Apres Match DVD looks pretty short thought these lads have been at that for years doing that show?

But how long do games rights stay with someone who purchased them for? But all the commentary over the years in the studio thats what I really would like. The game would be a bonus as to rewatch some classic games then seen the banter in the studio. Is there much in the RTE archives? Thanks for the Apres Match DVD looks pretty short thought these lads have been at that for years doing that show?

I am not sure. There is that clip on Reeling in the Year of an accident at one match but I assume that comes under news rather than sport.

you'll have to look for other après match DVD but much of their work is on YouTube.

I am not sure. There is that clip on Reeling in the Year of an accident at one match but I assume that comes under news rather than sport.

you'll have to look for other après match DVD but much of their work is on YouTube.

Ah ok and yes will have to look for more of the Apres match stuff I have seen a decent amount as I said on Youtube but would like to have the footage so I could watch it anytime like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I seen a great programme on RTE this year "Italy 90" the great memories that held the nation, all the usual craic in studio and a famous clip with a Charlton clash with Dunphy in a pre match press conference.

The Italia'90 programme was shown in a very late night slot and not trailed but well worth a look - presentation fans will have seen that it opened with the iconic RTE theme music and what appeared to be a recreated version of the original RTE opening titles (the original featured a Bord Gais sponsorship credit which was absent). That music was used as RTE's football theme right up until the end of the USA 94 qualifiers.

icdg wrote: »
    The Italia'90 programme was shown in a very late night slot and not trailed but well worth a look - presentation fans will have seen that it opened with the iconic RTE theme music and what appeared to be a recreated version of the original RTE opening titles (the original featured a Bord Gais sponsorship credit which was absent). That music was used as RTE's football theme right up until the end of the USA 94 qualifiers.

Ah right thanks for the insight about that. Do you think if you email RTE they can provide footage from years gone past?

I will be updating this thread later today with some interesting emails I reveived from RTE archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I will be updating this thread later today with some interesting emails I reveived from RTE archives.

No emails?

No emails?

You are excited about emails then give me a few and I will post them.

• Advertisement

The first one they sent back which is pure comedy. I sent my email back in November and they only got back to me at the start of June

"Hi,
    I’m just writing to double check to see if your request has been dealt with. We had a problem with our archive email and I’m just going through the backlog.

Please let me know if you are still looking for assistance on this query? "

My reply:

" Hi there I don't believe anyone got back to me on this issue was only thinking and talking about this the other day with the Euros starting this week. "

Their reply:

"Hi,
    I just spoke to my supervisor there and I’m afraid we can’t help you on this occasion, as we don’t own the matches and would be too difficult to extract the analysis from the matches.
    I’m sorry I can’t help you more on this matter. "

My reply:

" How would I be able to get copies of full games from this period of time. Who would I need to get in touch with? If it's not possible to get the analysis from games I don't mind just the matches in full with analysis. "

Their reply:

"Hi,
    You’d have to contact UEFA, FIFA and the FAI as they own all the rights I’m afraid.
    Apologies I can’t help you more. "

My reply:

" This is RTE archives though right? Do you not have the copies of games that were broadcast through RTE channels? If you have a phone number for your department it would be good to call."

Their reply:

" Hi,
    We would have some of the matches but we don’t own the copyright to the matches. Depending on the match copyright is held between Fifa Uefa and the FAI. We cannot make copies without their consent first.
    I’m sorry I can’t help you more. "

My reply:

" Thanks for your help really appreciate it. I thought you would be able to make copies based on fees because you would have them in your TV library and seeing as I pay for a TV License that as long as its for personal use and not distribution I would be able to request them from you. I will try make contact with the relevant parties. Do you have any contact information for them? "

Their reply:

" Hi,
    Because we don’t own the copyright I can’t make copies for you, I really am sorry. I’m afraid you’ll just have to go through their websites etc as I don’t have any personal contacts here, apologies.
    Best, "

As you can see she tried to help but super annoying that they are not able to help. This was suppose to be RTE archives and really I didn't want games I wanted the pre match, half time and post analysis from around 1990-present day and they were unable to help. I understand their point of view in terms of not being able to give the full game because it appears that they don't own the rights even though they have an RTE player which they don't seem to utilize enough. Its a shame about it tbh.

As you can see she tried to help but super annoying that they are not able to help. This was suppose to be RTE archives and really I didn't want games I wanted the pre match, half time and post analysis from around 1990-present day and they were unable to help. I understand their point of view in terms of not being able to give the full game because it appears that they don't own the rights even though they have an RTE player which they don't seem to utilize enough. Its a shame about it tbh.

They use the RTE archive website a good bit in fairness. My issue is that any programmes that they do keep have no on screen graphics from the period, RTE archives have no graphics archive for news and sport. If you see an RTE archive clip from Sport Stadium with no titles, so none of the people talking are credited on screen.

They use the RTE archive website a good bit in fairness. My issue is that any programmes that they do keep have no on screen graphics from the period, RTE archives have no graphics archive for news and sport. If you see an RTE archive clip from Sport Stadium with no titles, so none of the people talking are credited on screen.

Well they have some good stuff on but surely they have way more stuff in their archives? That would be a good point to address that they should put some graphic on an older show to indicated what period of time that show is from. But isn't it mad that they are not able to give their own broadcast analysis on some form of medium, I am not even bothered about the games I just wanted to hear their analysis, because sometimes it can ring true and other times its utter rubbish but find it entertaining.

Advertisement