Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self defense/krav maga/MMA in Galway?

Options
  • 15-11-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone!
    My friend and I want to go to some classes of...well not sure of what exactly :D

I wanted to get something more "self defense", so i was thinking about krav maga, on Galway I just found Krav maga Explode, does anone recomend this place? especially for the ambiance?

I saw Point Blank Gym as well for MMA (and BJJ), wich sounds pretty good, and the kind of thing that I would like to learn (i discovered this sport just a few months ago when I moved to Ireland ^^)

Or does anyone have recommendation for another sport/martial art? We are not interested by judo or karate at the moment, but I am not sure to know all the others possibilities, and I know there are a lot. Knowing that the goal of this is to learn for me to defend myself in a street situation. My boyfriend did a lot of kickboxing so as I am a beginner we want to avoid this one as well maybe (the point is to train together )

I am sure I saw a place closed to Claddagh Quay a few months ago, but I can' find any informations about it now :-/

thanks for your help!
    ps : and sorry if I made mistakes, english is not my first langage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

popotte wrote: »
    Knowing that the goal of this is to learn for me to defend myself in a street situation.

If you want to learn to defend yourself the three I'd normally recommend are Boxing, MMA or Muay Thai (Thai might be a bit too similar to kickboxing for you though).

I usually just advise against krav maga out of hand but I'm trying to be more open minded so I did a quick look at their FB page. I'd strongly advise against training here if you are looking to be actually able to defend yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Peetrik wrote: »
    If you want to learn to defend yourself the three I'd normally recommend are Boxing, MMA or Muay Thai (Thai might be a bit too similar to kickboxing for you though).

I usually just advise against krav maga out of hand but I'm trying to be more open minded so I did a quick look at their FB page. I'd strongly advise against training here if you are looking to be actually able to defend yourself.

I can't believe people actually buy into this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hakunapesa

The 1595 Ireland club have a self-defense class in Galway. They study Western martial arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I can't believe people actually buy into this nonsense.

Which krav maga? I might be wrong but I'm convinced it comes from the lack of competing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Peetrik wrote: »
    Which krav maga? I might be wrong but I'm convinced it comes from the lack of competing.

Any nonsense martial art that teaches these "too deadly to practice full contact" bollocks. KMG is one of the absolute worst in this respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Back to the OP question, I train in Point blank (and have done on and off for years) and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Great people to be around and you are learning something somewhat useful Tim is an amazing coach. In Claddagh there is the Strange Wolves club again a great bunch of people again Vinny and Kev are two quality people too. That'd be my recommendation. If you can avoid that KM stuff do. I watched a demo of it before along with a lot of online stuff and it did not impress me one bit from a self defense point of view. I won't open a rant on it but a lot of the "go to" moves relied too heavily of a set series of events. Either way welcome to the city of the tribes

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hakunapesa

Hi,

Were just launching a new Self Defense class in Galway. We'll be looking at Pugilism, which is Victorian Bare Knuckle Boxing. Classic Savate which is a French martial art focusing on Kicks which works very well when combined with the Pugilism and If you want to go a bit further we teach Cane as well which also combines very well with the Pugilism and Savate.

Give me a shout if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 popotte

Thanks you guys flr your answers! (And sorry for my late answer!)
    I need to go to work now but I will answer each of you tonight :)

Advertisement