Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grease Trap - Under Sink

Options
  • 15-11-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Folks, is there such an animal. I'm having problems with grease forming in the gulley drain outside my kitchen window. Normally I can keep in under control by just sticking my hand down and grabbing the grease that floats at the top of the u-bend,plus putting unblocker chemicals down the drain every few months.. This weekend I removed the two u-bends under the double sink. I discovered that the grease had blocked the vent that runs from the top of the u-bend to the high point vent in the sink. So looks like the grease is beginning to solidify the minute it comes out of the dishwasher drain pipe. If I had to put a grease trap in the main drain outside then I'd have to dig up my good footpath, plus it wont do the job if the grease is lodging upstream.

Is there a unit I can fit under the sink, just after the point where the two sinks and dishwasher join?. Tried to Google it but with no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Something doesn't sound right.

It is unlikely that the grease is solidifying as it comes out of the diswasher into the sink trap as the detergent used in the diswasher usually breaks down the grease during the wash.
    I would think a lot of the grease residue is as a result of what you are putting down the sink, or else you have really bad pipe work from the sink to the outside drain.
    But to answer your question, there is a compact grease trap system called "Big Dipper" that goes under the sink, but may take up a lot if room in a domestic installation.
    A company called ProViro used to deal with them, but not sure if they still do.
    Google Big Dipper grease traps for more information on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

I have to fit one to comply with planning permission for a kitchen extension built a few years ago in order to get a cert of completion signed off. At the time our builder couldnt source a domestic grease trap!

The easiest solution is the JFC external trap;

grease2.jpg

but our sink/dishwasher junction with the toilet waste is too close to the house to fit the JFC grease trap.

I rang Proviro and they were honest - the bid dipper isnt suitable for typical domestic use - the flow is too low and will result in smells. Plus cost was too high.

I found this undersink option for £327: Fatbusta from Grease Guardian in Newry. It wont capture the dishwasher waste but provides a solution.

5343623.jpg?327

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PS7BGJY/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Does anyone have it installed - does it smell? It will work out cheaper than having to move the aj.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Abigall

Hi, did you ever do this? Did it work? I would like to trap particles and grease from domestic sink. It seems I can do one or the other....Both expensive!
    Has anyone experience? What do you do with the waste/debris?

Advertisement