Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cul tec hurleys

Options
  • 15-11-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭

Has anyone feedback on these?

I've seen them in sports shops but don't know anyone who's actually used one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

big_drive wrote: »

Don't rate them at all. Best hurley around is Bulfin in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

They don't break as easily as wooden hurls and you get extra distance with em hence why a lot of goalies are using them for puck outs but most people find the touch is a bit heavy.

I found I could get away with one in the backs and it helped me clear the ball farther but when I switched to being a forward I had to go back to wood to keep my touch in check and be able to get the ball into my hand quicker to get a shot off.

Jim O'Brien hurleys (Tipperary) are my favourite wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

big_drive wrote: »

Tend to wear at the base of the bas especially on concrete/tarmac. Good for puckouts, longer than normal hurl. Lighter than normal hurl so easier to hit on the run/weaker side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭big_drive

Have noticed a lot of keepers using them pucking out alright.

Ryan O'Dwyer is the only guy at inter county I've seem using one

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I find them good they are light and strong and you can get an extra few yards with them my only complaint is you have to grit the bas every so often as the factory finish wears off and you are left with a very smooth surface on your hurley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

I think they're great. The 35 inch in particular is a beautifully balanced hurley. The strike is true and I find the sweet spot is a bit bigger than an ash stick. They have the added advantage once you get used to one that a replacement will be the exact same. So no break in required. The downside is they're a bit more expensive than ash and despite their claims of longevity, they need to be replaced every few months as the core goes and as a result the strike disapproves significantly. While I'm no longer make the starting 15(!!), if I was starting my career over again I reckon I'd use them all the time.
    Mind you, traditionalists hate them but I reckon that's based on preconceived bias a lot of the time.

Advertisement