Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creepiest roads in Ireland

Options
  • 15-11-2015 6:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭

What are some of the creepiest roads in Ireland? What roads, whether out walking or driving late at night, send a cold shiver down your spine?

I've always found the roads around Cloghan in the Midlands/Offaly/Tullamore area very spooky due to the barren nature of the place. Let us know what roads freak you out, and if there are any stories connected to them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

I too live in the midlands and while the roads (particularly the back roads) can be a little creepy - especially at night - I've never encountered anything overtly spooky or supernatural whilst driving. I have heard stories from other people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

dark-hedges-5%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

roads would have seemed much creepier in the days when people walked or cycled everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Trim to Navan Rd, just past the Bective turn off,there are two big white gates leading into an old estate house, a figure has been seen here by two people I know on separate occasions (30+ years apart). There were two fatal accidents at this gate and multiple deaths (at least 15 - 20) on the old section of road that was partially bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

There is two sections of road in the Wicklow mountains that are very creepy in the dark of night, one of the stretches is a couple of kilometres long with no turn off's and there is no houses along it either, both roads are very exposed.
    The second road gives numerous spots with a clear view of the night sky with no light pollution for star gazing, and myself and a few others have seen strange objects in the skies on a couple of occasions, been nearly 10 years since I've been up there last to see if the objects are still seen in the sky there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I've heard many a story of the balbriggan /skerries road where the bridge over the road enters ardgillan castle grounds. Locals call the bridge the ladies stairs as there is supposed to be a figure of a woman sighted there from time to time. I dont believe in any paranormal stuff but a few years ago a family friend who is a taxi driver not from the area had a bizarre experience on the road. He was after dropping off in skerries and then balbriggan and heading back the skerries road when the back door of the car swung wide open at 80kph then slammed shut! He got the shock of his life and had never previously heard of any stories of that stretch of road. He didnt drive home to wicklow that night he was that fresked he stayed in a guest house in skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Rearcross in Tipperary hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

cd07 wrote: »
    I've heard many a story of the balbriggan /skerries road where the bridge over the road enters ardgillan castle grounds. Locals call the bridge the ladies stairs as there is supposed to be a figure of a woman sighted there from time to time. I dont believe in any paranormal stuff but a few years ago a family friend who is a taxi driver not from the area had a bizarre experience on the road. He was after dropping off in skerries and then balbriggan and heading back the skerries road when the back door of the car swung wide open at 80kph then slammed shut! He got the shock of his life and had never previously heard of any stories of that stretch of road. He didnt drive home to wicklow that night he was that fresked he stayed in a guest house in skerries.

My dog goes absolutely mental whenever I bring him down to the ardgillen side of the lady's stairs,tail up,teeth showing, the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Some of the roads around Clonlara in Co Clare are reportedly haunted and spooky to walk at night. There is a lantern-like light that follows walkers before disappearing and then reappearing a few hundred feet in front of them, I have experienced this personally. I've also heard stories of a ghostly dog and some really weird activity on the roads down around Doonass, near where the hell fire club were rumoured to hold occult gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

My dog goes absolutely mental whenever I bring him down to the ardgillen side of the lady's stairs,tail up,teeth showing, the works.

Sounds familiar alright heard many a thing similar with dogs around there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The road at St. Anne's, Bohernabreena, Dublin that winds up past the graveyard and to St. Anne's church.
    As a kid I always found that whole area really creepy and it's nothing to do with the graveyard; I always felt unnerved there and felt a sense of relief once I'd left the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

0' Connell street ,DUBLIN , Street of zombies .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

The road between Killarney and Ladies view can be pretty creepy at night time. Especially around the little church just near Ladies View. I love going up there during the day but at night it unnerves me. Myself and OH were driving from Kenmare the other night and he decided to take that road home. Once we were near Ladies View I started to feel a bit weird. Couldn't wait to get down past that church.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Css189

loads of paranormal reports and legends associated to the fota road in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Myotherworld

What are some of the creepiest roads in Ireland? What roads, whether out walking or driving late at night, send a cold shiver down your spine?

I've always found the roads around Cloghan in the Midlands/Offaly/Tullamore area very spooky due to the barren nature of the place. Let us know what roads freak you out, and if there are any stories connected to them!

Great great topic. Yes Offaly roads especially the ones along the stretch by the bord na Mona bogs freaky. There's a road I was on years ago in Ireland and I can't for the life of me remember where....but it was full of white crosses each side of the few mile stretch of road to mark where people lost their lives in car accidents. They just went on and on....and lots of blind spots on the road but the crosses very effective because it's spooky and makes you slow down there when driving. Does any one know where I'm talking about?

Advertisement