Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best free windows HTML/CSS editing software

Options
  • 14-11-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just looking for some advice. Want to get back into programming. Did a little some years back using Dreamweaver. Would this still be the recommended software or is there something better nowadays?

Used upload it then with filezilla.

Then if anyone has recommendations for free domains/hosting. I don't need anything special, any address that would be free for a year would do. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Talking about hosting is a paddling round these parts.

In terms of HTML and CSS, are you looking to use any back-end language behind it? If not, then the best advice I can give you is to try and learn the syntax of the languages rather than relying on a drag and drop editor otherwise it'll cause you no end of problems in the long run.

Eclipse will have an extension for it, but it can be a very heavyweight IDE to use for such a lightweight language.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Talking about hosting is a paddling round these parts.

In terms of HTML and CSS, are you looking to use any back-end language behind it? If not, then the best advice I can give you is to try and learn the syntax of the languages rather than relying on a drag and drop editor otherwise it'll cause you no end of problems in the long run.

Eclipse will have an extension for it, but it can be a very heavyweight IDE to use for such a lightweight language.....

Yes looking to use the back-end language. I'm starting off basic but hopefully over time I will improve. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

I like Komodo Edit. Free and available for several platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SubatomicKiwi

brackets.io

Allows you to view the page you're working on as you work on it,with live updates. Looks great, is free and supports a variety of languages and extentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I like Atom

https://atom.io/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Talisman

For a free editor, Atom, Brackets and Visual Studio Code are all popular.

More Freebies:

We're not supposed to talk about hosting but take a look at OpenShift, there's a nice free offering there.

RedisLabs offer a free cloud hosted Redis data store.

Firebase has a free tier offering a 1GB database.

Plenty to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aatifriaz

Yes, Dreamweaver is still good software.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It might be good software but it's not used in the commercial world anything like as much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Check out sublime text

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

jumbone wrote: »
    Check out sublime text

+1 for sublime. Some of the Jetbrains IDEs may also be worth a look if the OP is willing to shell out a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sublime isn't worth paying for just for HTML/ CSS.

Brackets is pretty good, Atom is also good. Visual Studio code is good too. The free full edition of Visual Studio is good but probably overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

aatifriaz wrote: »
    Yes, Dreamweaver is still good software.

If you want to have huge amounts of needless pseudo selectors and classes inserted all over your pages, then yea, its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yabazza

+1 for Komodo Edit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

awec wrote: »
    Sublime isn't worth paying for just for HTML/ CSS.

Brackets is pretty good, Atom is also good. Visual Studio code is good too. The free full edition of Visual Studio is good but probably overkill.

People pay for Sublime now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

People pay for Sublime now?

I bought it for myself as a birthday present having already used it for a year clicking later. It's not expensive and cheaper than some editors. I still recommend it for free to colleagues.

I do admit to seeing day 999 of your 30 day trial of notepad++ though.

On topic, it might be overkill for just css editing, but there are some nice HTML etc plugins available for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Idleater wrote: »
    I do admit to seeing day 999 of your 30 day trial of notepad++ though.

Huh? Notepad++ is open source and free. There is no trial/paid version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

deconduo wrote: »
    Huh? Notepad++ is open source and free. There is no trial/paid version.

Going back a few years in my memory now.... Could it have been Winedit perhaps?

Advertisement