Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gifted child?

Options
  • 14-11-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I know everyone thinks their own child is the best thing since sliced bread.... but our 2yr old seems to be way ahead of other kids her age. It's our first child so we have no 'benchmark' of where she should be developmentally.

She was bang on time for all the markers since she was born (rolling over by X weeks / crawling, standing & walking by X months etc etc.) She's been talking for a long time now too.

For a good while now she's showing signs that she's quite smart too - holding proper reasoned conversations, completing jigsaws, drawing pictures that actually look like what she says she's drawing, memorising & singing multiple songs, making up stories... and recognising written words.

Like I said this is our first child so we've no benchmark but everyone comments on how clever she is. Strangers are always amazed at how young she is after they meet her - initially assuming she's about a year older than she actually is.

So I'm wondering should I do anything about it (to try nurture it) or just keep doing what we'be always dobe with her and just be glad she's happy & healthy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Have a look at the giftedkids dot ie website. When your child is school age have her tested by Centre for Talented Youth Ireland so that she can do their Saturday schools. I have a "gifted" child and one normal- it can be a blessing and a curse so I wish you all the best!

Advertisement