Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming control

Options
  • 14-11-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I travel often to Northern Ireland, and I've purchased the Three-Like-Home addon, which gives me minutes and data while roaming in other Three networks. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6, but I believe my problem is rather an Android problem, not necessarily an S6 problem.

The phone won't even tell me straight up what network I roam in, it only displays the R icon, but no name given, unless I navigate through the settings to the network selection.

I would like to be able to configure the phone to only ever roam in the 3UK network, and never in other networks. Or maybe only have data roaming when in 3UK, but not for the others.

Is there an app that can do such things?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

There is a setting in Android on my phone to display the network,

Mobile Networks -> show mobile network.

Setting the phone to manual network selection will prevent it changing without your sayso.

Under Mobile Networks -< Available networks I can set this.

Fortunately the EU will prevent this price gouging in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I wish my phone would have such settings, but it doesn't.

Under "Mobile Networks", I have:
    - Data Roaming: an on/off switch
    - Access Point Names: these have been set by Three, I think
    - Network Mode: currently set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM
    - Network Operators: leads to a search option, and the "select automatically" option, neither of which seems to have an on/off switch.

The manual has the shortest possible section on these settings:
    Screen%20Shot%202015-11-15%20at%2007.07.10_zpstvmfrpwo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

JoyPad wrote: »
    I wish my phone would have such settings, but it doesn't.

Under "Mobile Networks", I have:
    - Data Roaming: an on/off switch
    - Access Point Names: these have been set by Three, I think
    - Network Mode: currently set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM
    - Network Operators: leads to a search option, and the "select automatically" option, neither of which seems to have an on/off switch.

The manual has the shortest possible section on these settings:
    Screen%20Shot%202015-11-15%20at%2007.07.10_zpstvmfrpwo.png

You need to go to network operators choose 3uk manually. This will keep you on 3uk and will stop it from switching. You won't be able to do this until 3uk is within range so you're best to switch off data roaming and then just before you get off the plane (or enter the UK) choose the network and switch data roaming back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

It would be fantastic if I could have an app that does this, and not have to rely on manual settings.
    I found one called Roaming Control in the play store, but it doesn't work with Lollipop.

Advertisement