Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV set formats, making no sense ,again?

Options
  • 14-11-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

I had occasion to visit a major store, displaying TV sets for Christmas and I asked the manager a few questions.
    What would be the source of 4k broadcasts to encourage me to buy one, will Sky transmit them soon?
    I notice a number of TV ads selling,4k, Ultra HD and Ultra HD ready,
    Sky have started to show "The Last Panthers",its in 21/9 with letterboxing.
    BBC 2 NI, although programs are shot in HD, the station output is SD. (Just winning RTS award,though)
    The store manager went on displaying the new tele prices an replied, "Don't know"
    As Willie Nelson says "Easys getting harder every day"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sky have a new 4K compatible set top box launching next week. No news of them launching any 4K channels though.

Netflix currently provide 4K content. BT Sport has a channel for it but it is UK only. There are a few free 4K test channels on different satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Don't bother with 4K yet. Wait until prices drop even more. There are plenty of excellent HD tv's out there.

Its just a way to get consumers to buy a new tv.

I can see people at christmas, 'Hey everyone look at my new 4K tv', as they watch Tv3 in SD via saorview.

Genuine question here, is 4K really an improvement at current screen sizes? Or is it more like the Apple Retina displays, that is, higher DPI? Even so, I don't know if a higher DPI would be that noticeable at TV viewing distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Karsini wrote: »
    Genuine question here, is 4K really an improvement at current screen sizes? Or is it more like the Apple Retina displays, that is, higher DPI? Even so, I don't know if a higher DPI would be that noticeable at TV viewing distances.

Certainly there is a noticeable improvement in picture quality, with K over 1080 even in the stores, however some broadcasters like NHK Japan have elected to go straight to 8K. Many decades ago they entered HD with 1250 lines, we lost a few since then. There are a few 21/9 sets on the market, but I. Fear letterboxing is here to stay.

Advertisement