Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pray For Paris

Options
  • 14-11-2015 2:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭

Just saw this post on Facebook.

"I know people who say 'Pray for Paris' mean well and I respect everyone's own private way of coping with things but to advocate it as a response is really, really missing the point."

Any idea what she's getting at?

As far as I know, the poster is French but living in Ireland for 15 or so years. She's not religious and is firmly on the left.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume it's a superficial 'religion got us here and religion won't get us out of it' response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I would assume it just means that they're asking people to spare a thought for what's going on, and let people in Paris know we're thinking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd imagine #PrayForParis leaves a lot more characters in a tweet than #SpareAThoughtForParis. Maybe #TousAvecParis would be a decent alternative?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

There's an update

New post after it

"Find causes at the source : corruption and interests in middle east with some american moronic pathological behaviour. Then try to eradicate these powercontrolfreaks and I wish everyone would take example on the Venetian republic system of government previous to the 17th century to find a perfect and durable (1000 years splendour amidst mediterranian and oriental upheavels and head-cutting Turks), method of civilisation, integration, enlightenment, moderation and/but discipline (which contemplates punishment)."

Far easier just to lay the blame at the terrorists' door, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stawer

Terrorists are usually just a band of people organised by wealthy individuals to make such richer, more powerful.
    Obviously it is always dressed into religion etc.
    Without money they would achieve nothing so obviously powerful people are helping them and I don't believe they do it because they really believe in what terrorists pretend to fight for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Stawer wrote: »
    Terrorists are usually just a band of people organised by wealthy individuals to make such richer, more powerful.
    Obviously it is always dressed into religion etc.
    Without money they would achieve nothing so obviously powerful people are helping them and I don't believe they do it because they really believe in what terrorists pretend to fight for.

CT thread>>>>>

Away witcha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

A well meaning but meaningless FB post. It illustrates a coping mechanism: people feel helpless about something so we pretend there's a "daddy in the sky" who can put all things right. It's just what humans do.

Myself I feel such sorrow and pity for those cowering for their lives and dying in terror. I don't know what else to do or say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Oh the ironing!

Prayer and religion allow these lunatics justify their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

French MotoGP rider Loris Baz posted this:

368538.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

French MotoGP rider Loris Baz posted this:

368538.jpg

Please post to AH

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sisyphus Mark II

Saw this on facebook and have to say I agree-

I think it's ironic all this pray for Paris sh*e !! The people running around are shouting "God is good " before they shoot people dead .. It's these stupid religions that has people's minds f*cked up .. Banish all Gods and we'll have a healthier cleaner world , I hope they get help not prayers.

Also any people changing their facebook profile picture sickens me, trying to turn tragedy into a fashion statement!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Also any people changing their facebook profile picture sickens me, trying to turn tragedy into a fashion statement!!!

A fashion statement?

robdonn wrote: »
    A fashion statement?

Didn't work last time. Remember those 'Je Suis Over It' t shirts. People can be clueless in all kinds of ways.

Speaking of t shirts, in the spirit of interfaith cooperation, is it not about time the pope sent a shipment of these 80s classics to the Middle East?

original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sisyphus Mark II

Just think its a bit cheap by Facebook getting everyone to change their profiler after such attacks. The #prayforparis hashtag is ironic. If people could drop their stupid religious beliefs the world would be better. There should be a worldwide ban on indoctrinating young children into these stupid beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,157 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just think its a bit cheap by Facebook getting everyone to change their profiler after such attacks. The #prayforparis hashtag is ironic. If people could drop their stupid religious beliefs the world would be better. There should be a worldwide ban on indoctrinating young children into these stupid beliefs.

I haven't seen any evidence of facebook suggesting that profile pics should be changed? No-one's asked me to change mine, anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

looksee wrote: »
    I haven't seen any evidence of facebook suggesting that profile pics should be changed?
    Same here - a few friends have changed there photos, but it seems a touch pointless/showy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

here is a little piece on # Activism and Virtue Signalling

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

silverharp wrote: »
    here is a little piece on # Activism and Virtue Signalling
    Well said.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

^ so what ye're saying is I should have the courage of my convictions, and just call it all a load of bollo*ks?

I've no problem with people tweeting Pray4Paris, but the 'edgy' reaction to it from some is needless boloxology.

I see no problem changing your profile pic to a French flag, I mean it's France, we all watched it unfold, we all felt horrified that something so terrible could happen so close to home... but then to put up a Lebanese flag 12 hours later? Just to be 'inclusive' or whatever... No. That's just bollox. I'm not going to feel bad for thinking of the dead in France, but doing nothing about it. And I'm not going to feel bad for not thinking about the Lebanese at all.

(is that sticking my head above the parapet too much?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I see you can now change to a mash-up flag which is made up of the flag of every country attacked by IS.
    Unfortunately, this keeps changing all the time, so I have decided to change mine to a permanent black flag (black is what you get when you mix loads of colours together) The only one I could find has some random arabic writing on it, but thats close enough.

Advertisement