Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help installing linux

Options
  • 13-11-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

hi all

My trusty toshiba laptop is goosed to say the very least.
    Its over 4 years old so im not bothered really it has really slowed down on windows its unuseable.

I tried some version of linux on a usb and it flew no problems at all so i just want to totally remove windows and install linux on the hard drive.

I tried doing it but i failed anybody with a link to a good site or any tips would be great

Thanks
    Dash

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

"Linux" itself is a very broad subject.

You have Arch (barebones) to Ubuntu (Debian based.... and seems to be most popular).

On my own Toshiba Satellite I have Peppermint OS (Lubuntu / Mint mix) and it runs perfectly.

For Office I've LibreOffice or Open Office, Google Docs or Office Online.

Web browsing, Chromium, Google Chrome or Firefox.

So when livebooting the usb, there should be an icon on the desktop to say "install" just run that and go through the wizard. Ensure you partition correctly (dual boot or completely wipe the drive and install Linux).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Thanks for that think I tried installing it on the hardvdrive but it failed for some reason.

Will try again and let younknow how I get on.
    All I want the laptop to donis get on the net really and maybe the odd letter PDF file.

crasy dash wrote: »
    Thanks for that think I tried installing it on the hardvdrive but it failed for some reason.

Will try again and let younknow how I get on.
    All I want the laptop to donis get on the net really and maybe the odd letter PDF file.

Do you know what Distro you were using off the usb?

There's also a great subreddit (subforum on reddit) if you have any questions.

reddit(dot)com/r/linux4noobs/ (sorry, cant post links yet!).

Think its mint was very happy how it sped it up to be honest.

Just after booting it into mint and went to install by deleting the partitions so fresh install I think I'm doing not great with computers.

Will see how I get on thanks for the reply

That failed went OK for two min then crashed.

Think its mint was very happy how it sped it up to be honest.

Just after booting it into mint and went to install by deleting the partitions so fresh install I think I'm doing not great with computers.

Will see how I get on thanks for the reply

That failed went OK for two min then crashed.

Just ensure you have backups of files and programs off the old machine! (Speaking from experience...unfortunately).

Also, on the bottom of the laptop take a copy of your windows key in case you want to do a fresh reinstall of Windows 7.

Saw your edit there, try Peppermint OS (I am biased though).

• Advertisement

Nothing I want off the hard drive just want a laptop to get on the net with.

How would I go about preparing the hard rdrive for a fresh install of windows if I have to go back.

Thinks its mint cinammon I'm trying to install

Nothing I want off the hard drive just want a laptop to get on the net with.

How would I go about preparing the hard rdrive for a fresh install of windows if I have to go back.

Thinks its mint cinammon I'm trying to install

Just to let you know, cinnamon is the DE (Desktop Environment). You'll hear that a lot! XFCE and KDE are others... Peppermint runs on LXDE. Each come with their own style (sets of widgets, customisations, memory usages, etc).

You can download a copy of Windows (legitimately).

The link below will have...er...links to where to get them from Microsoft. (Replace "(dot)" with a . )

howtogeek(dot)com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

You'll need a blank dvd / usb to burn the iso using Unetbootin or another similar program.

That's why you'll still need your key to validate the copy.

Thanks for the advice having a problem had an old hard drive I threw into the laptop when the install failed on the original disk it failed to install on that as well.

In the process of downloading peppermint now maybe it was a bad file I had previous I'm.not sure.

Thanks for the advice having a problem had an old hard drive I threw into the laptop when the install failed on the original disk it failed to install on that as well.

In the process of downloading peppermint now maybe it was a bad file I had previous I'm.not sure.

Ah ok, yeah when you're trying out linux it's booting from the usb and not the hard drive. If there are issues with that you might be stuck all right.

Best of luck!

I'm currently looking at three usb keys all that have a different distro on each (I like to "hop"). Peppermint OS, Lubuntu and Crunchbang (although that's now been taken over by BunsenLabs who have just released their Release Candidate based off Debian Jessie... I'm rambling... in text form).

Personally don't like Ubuntu (I know you can change the side panel on the left, but it takes up too much space on the screen).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ubuntu based distros will install on pretty much anything, I've found. The only compatibility problems you might have would be with the wireless card, especially if it's a Broadcom chip.

If you're having trouble with the installation failing, it's mostly likely a faulty ISO download. Re-download the distro of choice and try again.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Ubuntu based distros will install on pretty much anything, I've found. The only compatibility problems you might have would be with the wireless card, especially if it's a Broadcom chip.

If you're having trouble with the installation failing, it's mostly likely a faulty ISO download. Re-download the distro of choice and try again.

Cheers for that re downloaded the iso file and installed no problems laptop is back from the dead

Really happy with the difference in speed of the laptop running on mint

Thanks for all the replies saved myself a few quid by not having to buy a replacement laptop:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Cheers for that re downloaded the iso file and installed no problems laptop is back from the dead

Really happy with the difference in speed of the laptop running on mint

Thanks for all the replies saved myself a few quid by not having to buy a replacement laptop:)

Nice one! I can never understand people that just throw their laptop out if it gets a bit slow. Only time I ever throw a machine away is if a hardware component dies and it's too expensive to repair. Software issues can always be fixed!

Definitely agree always worth trying a repair before replacement.

Only problem I have now is I must learn how to install the drivers for the printer I have.

One job at a time getting there though.

Advertisement