Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PwC Graduate Salary?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Depends on your circumstances but 24k ish

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yeezy321 wrote: »
    I have been offered a graduate job in consulting at PwC.

In thirty years I've never heard of anyone being offered a position with a big 4, that did not include salary details! Are you sure you got an offer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gradl94

Anybody know the salary for a direct entrant with no exemptions?

Jim2007 wrote: »
    In thirty years I've never heard of anyone being offered a position with a big 4, that did not include salary details! Are you sure you got an offer :confused:

You must be out of touch as the same happened me and several people I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

23800 as of last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

s15r330 wrote: »
    You must be out of touch as the same happened me and several people I know!

So how is it addressed in the contract them?

Jim2007 wrote: »
    So how is it addressed in the contract them?

It isn't! I presume its because we're graduates and most aren't going to turn down a big 4 position.
    I didn't know my salary for sure until a month ago and I signed the contract last year

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

The firms have a review of salaries in the market each year in August / September to use as a benchmark for the new trainees and the increments for the current trainees as they pass their exams. It means that the firms are generally paying around the same. Having a masters with more exemptions will have a bigger impact on your starting salary than the firm that you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Yeezy321 wrote: »
    I have been offered a graduate job in consulting at PwC.

Anyone know what the starting salary is?? Trying to weigh up all my options and they have not been very forthcoming about it.

Thanks

It might have changed but a couple of years ago it was 21500 for non masters and 22500 with a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

It always amazes me the obsession graduates have between the different big 4 firms on salaries. I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't factor it in but maybe also look at it on a net monthly pay packet. I think you'll find that you all get paid crap and that there's no significant difference between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

By far the most important consideration is whether you go into industry or FS audit.

This has a direct effect on where you will (can) go after qualifying. Its mad, but unfortunately, thats the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

By far the most important consideration is whether you go into industry or FS audit.

This has a direct effect on where you will (can) go after qualifying. Its mad, but unfortunately, thats the way it is.

can you explain this a bit more? currently taking an industry position as a trainee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    can you explain this a bit more? currently taking an industry position as a trainee

Think he means depending on what department you work in (assuming audit) you would have vastly different experiences.

Industry audit will involve spending a lot of time on client site of different businesses large and small and can give good experience of "real" businesses and how they operate.

Funds auditing from what I'm aware involves looking at lots of spreadsheets and agreeing prices etc. Obviously a simplification and there's more to it than that but I'm not too familiar with that side of things.

As working in industry audit gives you exposure to "real" businesses, you might have an edge if going for a job in industry afterwards vs training in funds.

Not sure how much it would play a part, at the end of the day assuming you pass your exams you'll still be a chartered accountant regardless of what department you trained in.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

How can you not ask what salary you will be getting? I've always asked in interviews and been told (I've never had an unsuccessful interview thus far). HR types dress things up a lot but at the end of the day everyone only works because they are being paid.

OP the pay will be insultingly crap, around 24k but that will be the same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

Full Marx wrote: »
    OP the pay will be insultingly crap, around 24k but that will be the same everywhere.

Insultingly crap? I think 24k is ok considering a graduate starting out knows very little of whats going on. They also get 2 or 3 months off study leave and all their exam and tuition fees paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Would there be a roughly 1k increase on the starting salary then if you're entering with CAP 1 examptions non-masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Would there be a roughly 1k increase on the starting salary then if you're entering with CAP 1 examptions non-masters?

In general there would only be an increase for CAP2 exemptions/masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

ASOT2012 wrote: »
    Insultingly crap? I think 24k is ok considering a graduate starting out knows very little of whats going on. They also get 2 or 3 months off study leave and all their exam and tuition fees paid.

Well it isnt the best when you consider how much they are charging for this graduate who doesnt know very much.... and the hours said graduate can end up doing

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Well it isnt the best when you consider how much they are charging for this graduate who doesnt know very much.... and the hours said graduate can end up doing

It's a lot better than most other graduate jobs factoring in study leave plus exams paid for. Especially considering you'll be looking at 40-45k minimum when qualified in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

OttoPilot wrote: »
    It's a lot better than most other graduate jobs factoring in study leave plus exams paid for. Especially considering you'll be looking at 40-45k minimum when qualified in 3 years.

It's not really, any one coming from a finance or accounting background could have walked into other much better paying jobs. We chose the chartered route though. It will pay off in the long run, but don't be fooled into thinking the pay and conditions are good during the training contract.

All my other friends who graduated are on at least 10k more than those of us in the big 4 start off on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

FrStone wrote: »
    It's not really, any one coming from a finance or accounting background could have walked into other much better paying jobs. We chose the chartered route though. It will pay off in the long run, but don't be fooled into thinking the pay and conditions are good during the training contract.

All my other friends who graduated are on at least 10k more than those of us in the big 4 start off on.

Which companies can you walk into out of college that are paying 34K? I know someone who started in Tesco head office on 27K and someone else in a large bank who started on 24K.

I don't disagree that there are a few places probably paying those kinds of wages (to the best students), but the average finance student not going into an accountancy firm is doing well to get high twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

Well they are a business. The charge out rate should be more then what the graduate is paid. Said graduate also either gets paid or gets time in lieu for overtime in the big4's as far as I know so that point is also irrelevant.

Get a couple of years experience under your belt and pass the FAE's then start talking about salary!

ASOT2012 wrote: »
    Well they are a business. The charge out rate should be more then what the graduate is paid. Said graduate also either gets paid or gets time in lieu for overtime in the big4's as far as I know so that point is also irrelevant.

Get a couple of years experience under your belt and pass the FAE's then start talking about salary!

You must not be familiar with big4 charge out rates.

OttoPilot wrote: »

Less than many graduate schemes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Less than many graduate schemes though.

Ninja edit.
    Aldi grads can look forward to working 12 hour days and 6 day weeks, with impossible targets and no budgets.

How many grad schemes start at 40k?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LUHG

guys I will have a masters and thinking of doing 6 months co op placement with PWC upon completion of the masters to see if I like working there first. Would you get paid the same if you are on a co op placement as opposed to a graduate positon?

Advertisement