Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortoise svn equivalent for OS X

Options
  • 13-11-2015 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

So I'm spending increasing time working on OS X recently and boy do I miss Tortoise SVN! What are the equivalents on Mac (a brief search looks rather sparse...) and any recommendations?

I think I'm right in saying that OS X doesn't allow Finder integration so no little nice tick boxes on folders, but I can live without that as long as it has a nice display for viewing diffs on selected files.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I used Cornerstone after having previous exposure to Tortoise SVN - didn't find it too bad but all I was doing on it really was syncing and adding new branches so I could run manual builds of an iOS app with Xcode and Titanium - I was working on the backend and web version of the product.

link

Basically I'm not a Mac expert! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Cheers. It looks good but dang! payment! Oh well, if it does the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Best is to install svn with homebrew and use it in the terminal, easier to use than any gui.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jester77 wrote: »
    Best is to install svn with homebrew and use it in the terminal, easier to use than any gui.

For you maybe, not everyone finds the terminal to be easier. We need to move away from this Terminal is holier than GUI attitude in tech (not pointed at you personally). The right tool for the job is different for everyone.

http://versionsapp.com/ looks decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Talisman

It seems a lifetime ago but I used to use Versions ($59) as a SVN client. It didn't have Finder integration or an in-built Diff tool but it had the best interface. The license price is now almost three times what I paid so I wouldn't consider it a cheap option any longer.

SmartSVN ($50) is the only client I'm aware of that has Finder integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

For you maybe, not everyone finds the terminal to be easier. We need to move away from this Terminal is holier than GUI attitude in tech (not pointed at you personally). The right tool for the job is different for everyone.

I didn't mean to come across like that, but I have yet to find a gui tool that works anywhere near as good as working in the terminal. If you are going to be working with source control, then it is well worth investing 30 mins to learn the basic commands, the time will more than pay for itself later on when you need to do something the gui can't handle.

jester77 wrote: »

It's not really. At least for me. Yeah I can do all the usual stuff via the command line (conversational svn if you will :P ). Frankly I find the terminal awful for tasks like having a quick overview of changes done in the repo or having a quick glance over the logs. Yeah 'svn status' or whatever is fine for nice little changes but I just removed build folders from a repo (yes, the previous guy had all binaries, build artiifacts checked into source control...) and found any of the command line outputs useless as the changes were massive!

I have extensive experience with Tortoise, I'm not a newbie to source control. Just surprised at the (initial) lack of options for an equivalent. Will take a look at some of the above guys.
    the time will more than pay for itself later on when you need to do something the gui can't handle.

Have to admit, in years of working primarily on Windows I've never run into something like that for svn.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

The problem is that the command line, in this case, IS significantly better. It is coherent, complete and dependable.

Also, you have pretty much proved the point by looking for a Tortoise equivalent for the Mac.

Your problem is now nothing to do with svn. It is because Mac does not allow the same level of folder integration as Windows.

The problem with front ends to command line tools (especially svn) is that they vary in approach, completeness and functionality. Also, each time you move OS, IDE or Front End, you have to learn a whole new set ways to interact with the tool.

Your version control package is probably the single most important tool you will use. You really need to know it and understand it. Especially if you screw something up (very possible with svn). When things go wrong, the command line is your (only) friend.

The reason why people invest the time in learning the command line is for the very problem that you have now. It removes your dependence on a myriad of front-ends and 'different' ways of doing things.

If you use the command line:
    It operates exactly the same on all platforms
    You know exactly what it's doing
    You have a history of what you have done
    Your investment in the tool is protected.

Anyway, to answer your question, Cornerstone is/was about the the best GUI FE to svn on Mac but it's not free and it is wildly different from Tortoise.

Change to git would be my advice. Svn is fine until you start merging......

I think that post should have been addressed to me :)

>> The problem is that the command line, in this case, IS significantly better. It is coherent, complete and dependable.

It's not for me.

>> It is because Mac does not allow the same level of folder integration as Windows.

I outlined I knew this in the very first post...

>> When things go wrong, the command line is your (only) friend.

Completely untrue.

>> The reason why people invest the time in learning the command line is for the very problem that you have now.

That's a fair enough point.

>> Change to git would be my advice. Svn is fine until you start merging......

If someone came in with a Windows specific question, how relevant do you think an answer would be telling them to switch to Linux? For a myriad of reasons Git is unsuitable for this repo. That's without even stating that in many companies it isn't even up to the developer/development team.

I didn't mean to sound narky. Bad day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 rwsz365

I agree that for svn on mac command line is a good option. If you mainly want a GUI for diffs there are a couple of options such as tkdiff. You can install it with homebrew and then
    "svn diff --diff-cmd tkdiff filename". I think you can change the diff tool svn uses to tkdiff as well so you can shorten the command or else create an alias.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

c_man wrote: »
    I didn't mean to sound narky. Bad day.

Ah, don't worry about it. The git quip probably deserved it :)

Seriously, I do believe the advice on getting to know the command line is solid.

I've had occasion to use git under eclipse (two different plugins) on Windows, Mac and Linux. Added to that were a whole batch of python scripts developed using vim! Just to complicate matters, the development environment required lots of up and down merging of branches.

I don't know about you but every time I've had to do merging, I've had problems. One of the great advantages of the CLI was I had a history of what I did. With a GUI, all I had was a vague recollection of lots of buttons pressed.

Advertisement