Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Argos take back a sealed game with receipt?

Options
  • 13-11-2015 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Wondering does anyone knows if Argos will take back a sealed game with a receipt?

Comments

• Wondering does anyone knows if Argos will take back a sealed game with a receipt?
    Should not be an issue if your inside the return date window I think :confused:
    16 days or something

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Games are exempt from the 30 day money back guarantee but it really is up to the discretion of the store manager whether or not they take them back, they're under no obligation to and some stores will outright refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Wondering does anyone knows if Argos will take back a sealed game with a receipt?

Argos are pretty decent when it comes to returns of any kind. If it's sealed and with receipt you shouldn't have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks everyone.

Found this too - link
    Please note all video games consoles are excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. Please ensure you read the specification on the box before installation. We also cannot accept returns for video gaming software under our 30 day money back guarantee if the plastic wrapping has been unsealed – this does not affect your statutory rights.

Good common sense policy that they're not obliged to do, wouldn't expect them to take back anything unsealed of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Might as well ask here to avoid making a new thread, will HMV take back a game after less a week of purchase with receipt? Only after credit on a gift card, not cash back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Aeternum wrote: »
    Games are exempt from the 30 day money back guarantee but it really is up to the discretion of the store manager whether or not they take them back, they're under no obligation to and some stores will outright refuse.

This is actually in contravention of EU law and will eventually have to be changed. It's the reason why Steam were forced to introduce a no questions asked return policy for any game. It's the law. They had no choice.

Plenty of retailers are trying to skirt the issue by with the whole "plastic wrapper" stipulation and thereby claiming to adhere to the law but it doesnt work like that in reality. They also try equating a physical game to a licensing code but it doesnt hold water. Eventually, they will have to back down.

The UK recently intoduced a law regarding refunds for "broken" games for example Assassins creed unity or Batman Arkham Knight which is a step in the right direction but its still shy of what the eurpean union requires of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Kirby wrote: »
    This is actually in contravention of EU law and will eventually have to be changed. It's the reason why Steam were forced to introduce a no questions asked return policy for any game. It's the law. They had no choice.

Plenty of retailers are trying to skirt the issue by with the whole "plastic wrapper" stipulation and thereby claiming to adhere to the law but it doesnt work like that in reality. They also try equating a physical game to a licensing code but it doesnt hold water. Eventually, they will have to back down.

The UK recently intoduced a law regarding refunds for "broken" games for example Assassins creed unity or Batman Arkham Knight which is a step in the right direction but its still shy of what the eurpean union requires of them.
    Please note that you may not use goods that you have received before deciding to withdraw from the purchase. The right to withdraw exists to allow you to examine the product in the same way as you would in a shop, not to give you 14 days free use.
    The 14-day "cooling off" period does not apply, among others, to:

plane and train tickets as well as concert tickets and hotel bookings for specific dates
    food and drink delivered to you by regular delivery (such as delivery by a milkman).
    goods made to order or clearly personalised (e.g. a tailor-made suit)
    sealed data carriers, such as DVDs, which you have unsealed upon receipt.

Can you point out the EU law that this is in contravention to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Only regarding online purchases.

In store sales are final. (Outside of product issues)

Gaygooner wrote: »
    Only regarding online purchases.

In store sales are final. (Outside of product issues)

Indeed, I was more surprised that he was repeating the fallacy about Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

What game is it?

If its PS4 fallout I will take it, Having to rent it for last 6 days as cant get a copy in Kildare

• Advertisement

khamilto wrote: »
    Indeed, I was more surprised that he was repeating the fallacy about Steam.

There is no fallacy regarding Steam. They were told they either had to implement a refund system, or stop trading. Thats a fact, not a fallacy.

There is no fallacy regarding Steam. They were told they either had to implement a refund system, or stop trading. Thats a fact, not a fallacy.
    A refund system. Not a no questions asked refund system.

Can you point out the relevant legislation for your earlier claims, as asked?

No offence but I'm not going to get into a tit for tat with a rereg with 16 posts. It's not worth the time. If you want to google EU law go right ahead.

No offence but I'm not going to get into a tit for tat with a rereg with 16 posts. It's not worth the time. If you want to google EU law go right ahead.

You made up something and know you're wrong so you're backing out

No shop is beholden to take anything back because the shopper changed their mind

Online is different

How is it tit for tat? I posted excerpts of EU legislation that dealt with distance contracts and 14 day cooling off periods and asked you for the relevant legislation that contravened that.

Instead, you repeated yourself, stated that your opinion was a fact and not an opinion, and refused to explain how or why it was a fact.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Should not be an issue if your inside the return date window I think :confused:
    16 days or something

This exists? I can bring something back to the shops in 16 days? Who is included in this?

This exists? I can bring something back to the shops in 16 days? Who is included in this?

No. Some shops offer it. It is not the law

Advertisement