Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer/Eircom 1000mb Broadband

Options
  • 12-11-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Ordered eircom/Aer 1000 broadband and it took 3 weeks to get it installed and another 4 weeks for it to work. Myself and 4 of my neighbors had the same problem. Once it was working we could only get 95mb and i asked them was it capped and they said it was. Once it was uncapped to 1000mb it still wouldn't work and was told by a technician unless your laptop has a wifi card that can only use Wireless+802.11ac then you can only receive 100mb.
    So dont waste your money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ordered eircom/Aer 1000 broadband and it took 3 weeks to get it installed and another 4 weeks for it to work. Myself and 4 of my neighbors had the same problem. Once it was working we could only get 95mb and i asked them was it capped and they said it was. Once it was uncapped to 1000mb it still wouldn't work and was told by a technician unless your laptop has a wifi card that can only use Wireless+802.11ac then you can only receive 100mb.
    So dont waste your money.

Course it's their fault.....
    He's right, to get full speed you need hardware capable of those speeds. Please tell us what you are unable to do with 95mbit which is possibly he max of the wireless hardware in your pc. To get full 1000mbit (gigabit) you're going to need to be connected by cable, have a gigabit network card and have a pc fast enough to handle gigabit

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hilarious and a little sad at the same time!

You have one of the fastest broadband connections in Ireland and one of the fastest in the whole of EU/US, but people still complain!!! There are a lot of people on this forum who will bight your hand off to get that service.

The engineer and mass_debater above are correct. Wifi is almost useless at delivering high speed broadband.

With 802.11n wifi the best you can hope for is 250Mb/s with top quality gear (operating on 5GHz, etc.), most people are unlikely to get more then 120Mb/s or so out of it.

With 802.11ac on both the router and laptop, you might be able to push that up to 400 to 500Mb/s with top end gear.

In order to actually get the most out of 1000Mb/s connection, then you will need to directly connect to the router using an Gigabit ethernet cable and gigabit ethernet capable laptop.

Think of it this way, it is like you bought a Ferrari, you clearly aren't going to get the top speed out of it if you put standard road tires on it, put non premium petrol in the engine and try and drive it on a small Irish country road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

The broadband providers really need to start educating people regarding what is possible over wireless and even on a wired connections people will never see 1000Mb/s on a speedtest.

The best you will see is around 940Mb/s due to packet overheads, yet people will claim that they should get 1000Mb/s even though it's not actually possible from a 1Gb interface.

digiman wrote: »
    The broadband providers really need to start educating people regarding what is possible over wireless and even on a wired connections people will never see 1000Mb/s on a speedtest.

The best you will see is around 940Mb/s due to packet overheads, yet people will claim that they should get 1000Mb/s even though it's not actually possible from a 1Gb interface.

IMO people need to educate themselves, they're the ones committing to a contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Also, "Aer"?!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

eir eir here, 100mb a waste of money!! what about those dim and dark days of 2mb!! And eir cant be blamed for the equipment used.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

classic_pebkac.gif

very apt I must keep that. I also like the bit " the best you will see is around!! 940mb" made me smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What provider is selling gigabit connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 naasgreenway

Aer is selling them door to door saying you can get 1000mb wifi. Complete mi-selling as they were not even able to deliver 30mb.
    All three of my neighbours got it but have now cancelled as service is awful.
    They are now trying to charge us for the phone that came with the bundle for 18months even though i didnt even want it. Why oh why did i forget how bad they were and not learn my lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aer is selling them door to door saying you can get 1000mb wifi. Complete mi-selling as they were not even able to deliver 30mb.

There simply is no such thing as 1000Mb/s wifi. Wifi is far to variable to be able to make a promise like that.

The door to door sales people likely don't work for Eir. They work for a third party "sales" company. The employees get paid based on the number of sales they make. So unsurprisingly they lie through their teeth to get a sale.

Having said that, I and most people would leap at the opportunity to have a 1Gb/s FTTH. If you own your home, this has likely a few thousand euro worth of value to your property.

You now have the technology that will leave you with an extremely reliable, stable and high speed broadband connection. Copper was the communications technology of the last 100 years, FTTH is the communications technology of the next 100 years and frankly you are very lucky to have service a valuable resource available to you.

I do realise that i am lucky to have such a broadband speed but we are not getting it anywhere near 1000 we are getting 30 wifi and 90 wired.
    This is not cheap at 100 euro a month.
    So i should be getting some thing near 1000 at least.
    Again dont waste your money

naasgreenway, did eir install a fibre cable in your house? if you did not have a cable installed then its NOT fibre to the home. For fibre to the home you need a brand new set up. Its EIR not AER by the way. and if you say where you are we can check to see if FTTH is even rolled out

swoofer wrote: »
    naasgreenway, did eir install a fibre cable in your house? if you did not have a cable installed then its NOT fibre to the home. For fibre to the home you need a brand new set up. Its EIR not AER by the way. and if you say where you are we can check to see if FTTH is even rolled out

Yes it fiber right to my hallway.
    Dont care if eir air it all hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think you need to be more specific,

What equipment did you use ?

What test did you run ?

What cabling is inside your home that is capable of handling these speeds.

The only 1 thing you may be correct on is the fact that the lines should probably be sold to people that would actually have use for 1000Mb line and this have the knowledge or equipment that would make use of it.

You appear to be shouting the place down whilst providing very little in background to this tale.

Looks like you work for them.
    They provided router and installed cabeling.
    They are providing a product that they cannot stand by.
    Good luck and goodbye if you want try it yourself and come back when its all perfect.
    Look forward to hearing from you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

You bought a 4K TV and are complaining that the picture from your VHS is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Good luck and goodbye if you want try it yourself and come back when its all perfect.

You quoted yourself there. What sort of pc or laptop are you testing the wired speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I work for them? because you dont understand the equipment....

right.....

Why did you sign up for 1000Mb broadband when it is abudently clear that you dont possess the equipment in your home to take advantage of it.

I agree you may have been oversold.

But claiming people work for them for pointing out the obvious is just silly.

Eir would have provided the cabling to your home and to the router, Whatever you do after that is your own business, which is why I asked what cabling you have and what equipment you use.

I suggest you try cancel it as its clearly not meant for you.

Once again I ask what are you unable to do with 90mbit?

Can I give you a bit of advise, don't ever sign up to anything on your doorstep, salesmen will say anything to get a sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

I do realise that i am lucky to have such a broadband speed but we are not getting it anywhere near 1000 we are getting 30 wifi and 90 wired.

90 wired makes me guess that you have a 100Mb eth port on your pc (make sure you are using cat 5e or better cable too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Think some people are green with envy in this thread!

OP get the correct hardware for your side of the box and the speeds will increase. You've Megabit hardware from the sounds of things. Youll need Gigabit hardware to get the speeds promised. You won't see GB speeds over wireless as the technology isn't there yet for public use, in a few years it might be.

BTW OP this tech is new to Ireland even Europe, I would expect it to have teething problems as its not copper based it would be new for installers. So your a bit if a beta tester if you will for them.

you dont say where you are, here is a pic of the install.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2upelo5&s=8#.Vkogwt_hDPA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

They've provided you with a router that's capable of offering you the 1 gigabit speed by cable and around 400mbit ish by wireless, and their fibre cable which runs into that router back to the internet.

On the phone, the agent advised you you'd see low speeds if your equipment(laptop) doesn't have the best/newest spec of wireless ac.

I don't work for eir. If you can get them to buy you a new wireless card for your laptop though, let us know.

Advertisement