Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light and Fast Laptop

Options
  • 12-11-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Hi All. Bit of advice needed please. Currently have an XPS 14 that suits my needs well but selling it to get a lighter < 1.5kg laptop.

Anyone have any recommendations? My requirements would be:
    1. Lightweight
    2. SSD
    3. Fast boot time
    4. Main uses are web browsing / videos
    5. Decent screen
    6. Good audio would be another plus
    7. Budget would be < €1000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I have this one and its fantastic. http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=P0R94EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Thin and light, great battery life, full HD screen and Bang and Olufsen audio. 256gb SSD with 8GB RAM. Boot up time on my one is less than 10 seconds.

Curry's have them in-store if you want to take a look at one, albeit at much higher prices than HP directly. £629 should be fine for your budget (less than €900) - Use ParcelWizard for delivery from HP UK (3 free deliveries with them, so no cost)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I don't have the Envy 13 but I have the Envy x360 with pretty much the same specs and it's a great machine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Techmaster wrote: »
    I have this one and its fantastic. http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=P0R94EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Thin and light, great battery life, full HD screen and Bang and Olufsen audio. 256gb SSD with 8GB RAM. Boot up time on my one is less than 10 seconds.

Curry's have them in-store if you want to take a look at one, albeit at much higher prices than HP directly. £629 should be fine for your budget (less than €900) - Use ParcelWizard for delivery from HP UK (3 free deliveries with them, so no cost)

Currys have this one for €999 on offer at the moment.

Is it comparable with your own? The processor, ssd and memory spec seem to be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Stheno wrote: »
    Currys have this one for €999 on offer at the moment.

Is it comparable with your own? The processor, ssd and memory spec seem to be the same?

The Currys one has a QHD screen, the other one is FHD, that seems to be the only major difference between the two,

The Currys one has a QHD screen, the other one is FHD, that seems to be the only major difference between the two,

Yep, that's the only difference. €999 is great for the spec with the 4k display.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep, that's the only difference. €999 is great for the spec with the 4k display.

I bought it yesterday, I'm still getting over how lovely it is :)

Having full HD is not something that bothers me at all, so it's no loss. Am I right in thinking it's quarter HD and not 4k? Thought 4k was the latest and greatest to top HD?

Having full HD is not something that bothers me at all, so it's no loss. Am I right in thinking it's quarter HD and not 4k? Thought 4k was the latest and greatest to top HD?

Quad HD = 720p HD x 4 so yep you'd be correct :)

Did you buy the QHD model from Curry's or the Full HD model? What's the model number on the box?

Quad HD = 720p HD x 4 so yep you'd be correct :)

Did you buy the QHD model from Curry's or the Full HD model? What's the model number on the box?

It's the 13-d061sa lists display as QHD +IPS LED

For me compared to my ancient and low spec Dell, it's magic, the display is superb :o incredibly crisp

It's the 13-d061sa lists display as QHD +IPS LED

For me compared to my ancient and low spec Dell, it's magic, the display is superb :o incredibly crisp

Ah cool. I have the Full HD model, only difference is the screen res. Small bit better battery life which matters to me :) Awesome device, glad you're happy with it. Crazy how the comparable Macbook costs €1649!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

QHD = 3200 x 1800 in the case of that one. It's fractionally below 4k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement