Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under the Clerys Clock

Options
  • 12-11-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Guys,
    I was wondering if anyone has any stories about meeting first dates under the Clerys clock in Dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Ciarar wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I was wondering if anyone has any stories about meeting first dates under the Clerys clock in Dublin ?

Way, way back in the early 80s when I phones where only seen on star trek I was stood up under the clock, or so I thought.

My date was running 30 min late and couldn't contact me,me being an impulsive fcuker left after 10min. Met her a week later in d'tara club and she explained everything, We met up again but never under the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

not yet wrote: »
    Way, way back in the early 80s when I phones where only seen on star trek I was stood up under the clock, or so I thought.

My date was running 30 min late and couldn't contact me,me being an impulsive fcuker left after 10min. Met her a week later in d'tara club and she explained everything, We met up again but never under the clock.

the days before mobile phones......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciarar

Thanks for sharing your story with me :) I'm in the process of an art project and looking for as many good / bad experiences of dates under the clock !

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Love threads like these.
    Must ask the mother for a few stories and I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Parents met at a party back in 1957. They had a mutual friend - let's call him Yer Man - who was a real prankster. The next day, for a joke, Yer Man rang them both up, said that the other one wanted to ask them out, but was too nervous to do so, so they got Yer Man to do it. He got them both to agree to meet for a date under Clearys clock. Yer Man's plan was to walk by as they were meeting up & have a good laugh at the row that would inevitably break out, as to who asked who out.

However, knowing what Yer Man was like, both parents smelt a rat. They got in touch with each other, to see if the phone calls were legit. When they found out they were being set up, they decided to meet up anyway & turn the tables on Yer Man. So they met at up at Clearys clock earlier than planned, walked around the corner to where Yer Man was skulking, waiting for them to show up, linked arms, planted two big kisses on his very surprised cheeks & walked away laughing merrily.

The fake date went so well, they met up the following week for a real one and the rest is history.

Two years later, they met up under the clock again, to go buy their engagement ring at McDowells Jewelers - The Happy Ring House.

Six years later, I was born and Yer Man was asked to be my godfather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciarar

haha! That's amazing ! Thank you so much keep them coming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No problem. The irony is that the above story rarely got told, when people would ask my Dad how he met my mother. The party where they first met was a card party, where people got together to play Whist, Bridge, Gin Rummy etc etc. (I know, mega exciting right? :p )

My godfather moved to England shortly after I was born. So as no one knew the man at the heart of the story, the story kinda fell flat in the telling. So Dad just told people that he won the mammy in a game of cards. That got a much bigger laugh. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Great tune from a great band

The fantastic Phil Chevron wrote what some would say is the first openly gay Irish song

Advertisement