Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get my car across the border to NI?

Options
  • 12-11-2015 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My car is uk reg, didn't realise the MOT has just expired. Means I can't use it legally, insurance, etc... I sorned it when I realised I couldn't insure it, so now I can't put it on the road legally. Question is - how feasible is it for me to have it put on a low loader (order one) just south of the border, and taken to the mot centre?

Am I being too careful here? Do the cameras in the North report back to central control in the UK? If that is the case, then there's no chance of putting the wheels on the road, as I understand it - booked mot or otherwise.

I don;t have a problem driving in Eire, so I can get it to the border..

anyone?

I'm not here for too long, so importing it isn't really an option.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

surely you need insurance down here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

My car is uk reg, didn't realise the MOT has just expired. Means I can't use it legally, insurance, etc... I sorned it when I realised I couldn't insure it, so now I can't put it on the road legally. Question is - how feasible is it for me to have it put on a low loader (order one) just south of the border, and taken to the mot centre?

Am I being too careful here? Do the cameras in the North report back to central control in the UK? If that is the case, then there's no chance of putting the wheels on the road, as I understand it - booked mot or otherwise.

I don;t have a problem driving in Eire, so I can get it to the border..

anyone?

I'm not here for too long, so importing it isn't really an option.

Thanks!

If you sorned the car then it should not be driven at all. I wouldn't chance it tbh.
    Especially if you plan to drive across the border where the police on either side pay more attention to these things.
    Put it back on the road and then have it transported north for the test.
    Cant understand why you think driving with no Insurance is fine in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Dehorn the car and insure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Dehorn the car and insure it.

Jaysus this is getting erotic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭dingus12

uk/NI register'd cars are exempt from the need for valid tax and MOT on the day of an mot booking on a road leading to the MOT centre for a reasonable time before and after the test time, however this exemption would not apply to roads in Ireland, so best bet is to trailer it to the MOT centre,

reason being if you where to have an accident on the way to the MOT centre in Ireland, you would have no insurance, no tax, no MOT, be liable for VRT, VRT penalty etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 g0atstr0ker

Thanks all, who took the time to and trouble to respond.

It all worked out fine in the end.

The Goat.

Advertisement