Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I leave out crucial words in sentences without even realizing it.

Options
  • 11-11-2015 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I leave out crucial words in sentences without even realizing it.

I might only notice it a day or two later when I have read over what I wrote even though I may have read it 10 times the day I wrote it.

Is that a symptom of dyslexia?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Is that a symptom of dyslexia?

Yes.

And another quirk of dyslexia, let's say if you are dyslexic, when you read over the text, you may have seen the missing word as being there.

And it's a reason dyslexics can do very badly in exams, even if they have studied and prepared. Dyslexia has a sliding scale of severity, from very mild to extreme. If you didn't have any great difficulty learning to read and write as a child, then you're on the mild end of the spectrum. The more extreme end of the scale the words and letters literally dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

So what happens when discovers they're dyslexic?

So what happens when discovers they're dyslexic?

They die.

Usually within 6 to 8 weeks of the diagnosis.

Nothing happens. There's a few things here. Dyslexia is a life long condition. You don't suddenly get it as an adult, if you had it you would have had noticeable problems throughout your childhood. It's not that easy to diagnose. As someone with years of experience testing told me; sometimes the child is just stupid.

If you've suddenly developed this symptom of missing words, then it could be a lot of different things; from something as simple as tiredness when reading and writing...to other things that vary extremely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

No, that selection would be about testing verbal reasoning. It's a variation of fill in the blanks.

Dyslexia is not a failure in verbal reasoning. It's to do with how the brain processes visual information, specifically text. I am dyslexic, I've had to make several corrections in creating this paragraph, I have no problems with verbal reasoning. How the brain works normally in perceiving texts, is to glance at the shape of a word and not to read each character individually and then construct the word.

With dyslexics the initial visual information is unreliable, so they see words that are not there, misread words, have difficulty staying on the correct line (sometimes jumping ahead mid sentence or even back), get splitting headaches from trying to read text (as it requires more effort than for people without dyslexia). Today in the supermarket I reached for what my eyes and brain told me was raspberry and cranberry juice, when I get it home it turns out to be just cranberry juice. If I'm given a time table on paper in a grid form, I have to make a great effort to read it correctly. Even having others read it for me. And I do make mistakes that can give the impression I have poor reading skills. When I'm reading a book, I often jump back a paragraph or two, or sometimes a few pages, because I may have made some significant mistakes in my reading. Sometimes it's worse than others.

There is no cure for it, it just needs to be overcome, or it leads to significant life problems. I don't know the stats for Ireland, but about half the American prison population are dyslexics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

We do not diagnose in this forum.

We cannot diagnose in this forum.

We do not have sufficient information. We cannot jump to conclusions.

It's possible to have a symptom of something, without having it. Generally a diagnosis is made on having several symptoms, not just one.

Advertisement