Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new phone

Options
  • 11-11-2015 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have had a Lumia 520 for the past 2 years and found it great but this morning I dropped it and it broke so I need to buy a new one. I'd like to stick with Windows so it would be either the Lumia 530 or Lumia 635. I can't see much in the difference so any help in seeing which is better would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can check out reviews on YT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

^^^^^
    Will check it out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I'd like to stick with Windows so it would be either the Lumia 530 or Lumia 635.

Are you sure its not the 535 that you are trying to compare with? (the 530 doesn't appear to be stocked in the Irish online mobile operators?)

Anyhow, If it is the 535 - then this link should help. It lays the spec of both 535 and 635 out side by side; http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Nokia-Lumia-635,Microsoft-Lumia-535/phones/8572,8989?ft=2

At that link, i'd ignore the user rating on the 635 - if you click in to their review you'll see its most likely a hater (1/10 for everything!).

The larger screen on the 535 appears to be a difference, as is (i think) the omission of a flash on the camera on the 635 (should that be important to you). Its only a little thing but handy as a torch/flash light if ever needed as well as obviously taking photos. I think the 635 has a technically faster processor (the snapdragon 400 as opposed to the snapdragon 200). Not sure that that would make a big difference as I've not used the 635. I have briefly used the 535 and it is a really fine phone and incredible value.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Digging a little further, the 535 has a front facing (selfie) camera while its not listed as present for the 635. They both have rear facing cameras. And, both (at the moment) are scheduled for Windows 10 updating when released.

The 635 is listed as being 4G compatible while the 535 is listed as 3.5G

There's pluses and minuses on both - in terms of some of the consumer type of things, the lumia 535's bigger screen, flash, and 2nd (selfie) camera may appeal to you. If these don't interest you then the 635's marginally faster processor and 4G connectivity may be the deal breaker for you.

Thanks for your help. Yes it was the 535 I meant and thats the one I think I will go for. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some of the 535 have problems with the screen. The MS update didn't fix them all. That would be a deal breaker for me.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-535/356122-535-vs-635-need-help-choose.html

If you could stretch to the 640 that would probably be best. If thats too much I would go 635. Its like a better 520.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

+1 for the 640, I had a 635 briefly and changed it for a 640XL.

I know it is down to personal preference but I found the screen size of the 635 too small and the camera poor.

The 640XL is perhaps too big, great for surfing but too big for carrying around in your pocket.

Even with a flash the low light performance of the 640XL is pretty poor.

If I was choosing again I would go for the 640 as the best compromise.

invest4deepvalue.com

The 635 has an improved version of the 520 camera. The 520 I find ok. Its no iPhone but its a sub 99 phone. There isn't much difference in price between the 635 and 640 in Argos for example. But the 640 is much better spec.

There's a lot of 535 for sake on adverts they can be got very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I see the 640 is down to €130 on vodafone online store, thats a bargain for a great phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I got the 640 after having a 630 and its well worth the extra few quid. I got it sim free in Argos for €149 and got a €10 voucher with it.

• Advertisement

I see the 640 is down to €130 on vodafone online store, thats a bargain for a great phone

Oh now your complicating things again.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

@Shannon757,

I too have the L520 ... a brilliant phone (on a price vs. spec basis).
    Best of luck.
    Shout with questions.

T

Without a shadow of a doubt:

Steer clear of:
    - Lumia 530 (very, very poor display), Lumia 535 (touchscreen problems).
    - Any Lumia device with 512mb of RAM.

Recommended:
    - Lumia 435, 532

Highly recommended:
    - Lumia 640 (no known flaws & priced very competitively) .......... eg. about e150 unlocked in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i broke my 830 :( wondering whether to buy another, a 640 or leave windows altogether. The upcoming 950 is out of my budget..
    really liked the OIS camera on the 830.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

@Scruff,

I'm using the L830 myself (received as a gift); I'd be fairly disappointed if it became unusable.
    My mothers using the L435.
    Apart from the camera; the user experience is near identical. I would never pay e280+ for a damn phone having seen these 2 anyway. The L435 gives plenty.

I've never used the L640 (friends give it the thumbs-up). Apparently the camera is very capable. OIS maybe overated? I reckon HDR is key to it all ...

You could also consider a good standalone camera & also the L435 ???

You'll get lots of good detail here --> allaboutwindowsphone.com

Good luck,
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Do-more wrote: »
    The 640XL is perhaps too big, great for surfing but too big for carrying around in your pocket.

Even with a flash the low light performance of the 640XL is pretty poor.

+1 here. I have the 640XL, and while I find it great in almost every other regard (especially the battery!), the camera in low light is far worse than the 820 i upgraded from (and a bit worse in reg. daylight too). it doesn't have OIS, which i didn't realise before getting it, and is something i'll make sure my next phone has, as apparently it's the main reason the 640XL struggles so badly in low light.

that said, i'd never go back. the battery on my 820 needed constant topping up, but the 640XL is great, never get's to less than 20% at the end of the day. big phone's have big batteries :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went with the Lumia 640 (in blue!) and I have to say it's excellent. Once again many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

The 640 is probably one of the best phones on the market at that price. Good buy.

Advertisement