Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector recommendation-

Options
  • 11-11-2015 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

HI All,
    Re wiring a house and have run cat 6 x 3 to a ceiling mounted HDMI plate from a TV/ Media centre conner. I also have power supply socket ceiling mounted. Room is 26' long by 14' wide. Wiring is half way though room- 13' from either end. I also have network cable run to the ceiling.

I have been holding out to get hold of a screen and HD projector- Spec wise I am hoping for a projector with a built in media player that can play avi files through the network NAS, HDMI link from Free Sat box/ TV.
    I s this possible? The only one I have seen network enables is the Optima 141. Any recommendatiosn welcome- Not mad keen for 3D/ 4k OR AM i MAD not future proofing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Why did you run Cat 6 to a ceiling mounted HDMI plate from your Media centre in the corner? Why not just run HDMI cable. HDMI CAT 5e/6 Baluns are usually only used for HDMI runs longer than 10 or 15 metres. I also don't understand why you want a media player built into the Projector. TBH I'm not sure I'm understanding you at all.

Me?

All my media is stored on a NAS, Every TV in the house has a UPC cable box and a media player with Kodi installed accessing the Nas over the home network. The living room has both a TV and a projector. UPC cable box and Kodi player and a PC (maybe PS4 eventually) are connected to a 4x2 Matrix HDMI switch (not needed if your Dolby Surround amp does HDMI switching) The HDMI Matrix switch has two outputs. One to the tv and the other to the projector.

Can watch any of the 3 or 4 sources on either the TV or the projector.

My projector is an ancient (10 year old Panasonic AE900) 720p. Have only used it a handful of times in the last 5 years. Bulb not gone but its getting too dim and it just wasn't worth spending money on for new bulbs etc However, just a few hours ago I ordered a new 1080P 3D Epson projector with double the lumens of the old panny (2200 lumens v 1100) 6 times the contrast ratio (30000 v 5000) with bulbs that last 4000 hours on high lamp mode or 7000 on low lamp and whos replacements only cost about €80. Only €655 from Amazon.de. Its the Epson EH-TW5210.

When I saw that price I quickly decided to get back in the projector game :D Course that prompted me to upgrade a few other bits and bobs and I ended up sspending €1100 in the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Calibos wrote: »
    Why did you run Cat 6 to a ceiling mounted HDMI plate from your Media centre in the corner? Why not just run HDMI cable. HDMI CAT 5e/6 Baluns are usually only used for HDMI runs longer than 10 or 15 metres. I also don't understand why you want a media player built into the Projector. TBH I'm not sure I'm understanding you at all.

Me?

All my media is stored on a NAS, Every TV in the house has a UPC cable box and a media player with Kodi installed accessing the Nas over the home network. The living room has both a TV and a projector. UPC cable box and Kodi player and a PC (maybe PS4 eventually) are connected to a 4x2 Matrix HDMI switch (not needed if your Dolby Surround amp does HDMI switching) The HDMI Matrix switch has two outputs. One to the tv and the other to the projector.

Can watch any of the 3 or 4 sources on either the TV or the projector.

My projector is an ancient (10 year old Panasonic AE900) 720p. Have only used it a handful of times in the last 5 years. Bulb not gone but its getting too dim and it just wasn't worth spending money on for new bulbs etc However, just a few hours ago I ordered a new 1080P 3D Epson projector with double the lumens of the old panny (2200 lumens v 1100) 6 times the contrast ratio (30000 v 5000) with bulbs that last 4000 hours on high lamp mode or 7000 on low lamp and whos replacements only cost about €80. Only €655 from Amazon.de. Its the Epson EH-TW5210.

When I saw that price I quickly decided to get back in the projector game :D Course that prompted me to upgrade a few other bits and bobs and I ended up sspending €1100 in the end :D

- Yeap I am (Newbie) not clear on what I am at- The HDMI is longer than 15 meters run so had to use the cat 6e to a HDMI plate however in hindsight I could have run a straight HDMI cable!
    - I thought I need a media player built in the projector as I also have a NAS box and thought thats how you 'Project the Media'?
    What media player do you use? is it the rasberry pie type connected to the projector or the like? or do you use Kodi installed on the NAS? Can I do the same with the WD NAS?
    Thanks a mill!

Advertisement