Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for Nissan Leaf

Options
  • 11-11-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Folks,

Who's the best Insurance Company in Ireland for Nissan Leaf owners. I looked for a quote from Chill and the price was nuts (Euro 950). Fully comp, Myself and wifey aged 40+, full no claims etc. Current Kia Ceed is insured for approx. 500 all in.

In fairness they did mention that for some reason that I should go directly to the main insurers for electric cars, and that as brokers they have a heavy premium.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Kieran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Firblog

Don't know if that hike is due to it being a Leaf. Mate got a shock yesterday, insurance up by 60% on last year - no claims and car a year older... seems all insurance is rocketing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 J.Dev

I've seen very cheap quotes from Zurich

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

Sc1entia wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Who's the best Insurance Company in Ireland for Nissan Leaf owners. I looked for a quote from Chill and the price was nuts (Euro 950). Fully comp, Myself and wifey aged 40+, full no claims etc. Current Kia Ceed is insured for approx. 500 all in.

In fairness they did mention that for some reason that I should go directly to the main insurers for electric cars, and that as brokers they have a heavy premium.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Kieran

5 weeks ago I insured 2012 fluence Ze with bank of Ireland (rsa underwriter) for ~€30/month
    Wife and I (37) no claims/points
    Fully comp (Prestige) protected ncb breakdown etc.
    no charge for monthly

Would image risk is similar value doesn't seem to make much difference to cost.
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

There has been a few previous threads on this. I found Aviva to be the cheapest at the time, but their online system didn't support electric cars

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

homer911 wrote: »
    There has been a few previous threads on this. I found Aviva to be the cheapest at the time, but their online system didn't support electric cars

Yes, I've mine with Aviva; myself & wife fully comp for <€300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I got insanely cheap insurance with Aviva (online) and have a similar profile to you OP. €280 all in for all the bells and whistles - fully comp, fully insured NCB plus stepback, breakdown, automatic loaner car coverage, etc. I'm well enough versed in insurance to know I'd never beat that with another company so didn't even bother trying. I even took the hit on cancelling my old insurance mid-policy because it still saved me money.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cdev

J.Dev wrote: »
    I've seen very cheap quotes from Zurich

Apparently they have a specific discount for electric cars: http://www.zurichinsurance.ie/car-insurance/electric-car-insurance.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Zurich insured us. Me and husband, fully comp <300 as well. About 100 quid cheaper than my previous car renewal.

Had to do it over the phone, online system doesn't quote for electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have a pending claim for a lovely lady who is doing the usual BS personal injury claim.

Accident was in April, just a week or 2 after I renewed.

But of course if the claim isn't settled by the time my next renewal comes up I'll be getting the shift without the option of being able to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

pwurple wrote: »
    Zurich insured us. Me and husband, fully comp <300 as well. About 100 quid cheaper than my previous car renewal.

Had to do it over the phone, online system doesn't quote for electric.

PWURPLE, how long ago did you get your renewal ? I rang Zuric yesterday and was quoted €520 for my wife and I, both in our early 40s, 2 full driving licences for 10years+, no claims ever, no penalty points ever in other words ideal candidates for cheap insurance. I asked was this the special policy as per advertised on their web site and they said it was.

Seems very expensive to me, not sure was the operator doing something wrong or is it the fact insurance is rising fast ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Aviva seem to be mentioned alot. I use a broker and Aviva came up same price as ICE

I would expect the EVs to be lower that an ICE equivalent ? slower car, generally driven slower etc...

I'm paying €290 on a 99 CDI C220 Merc (granted it is only 3rd party, no fire & theft) but I have driving other cars, step back and breakdown.

Is the risk that much greater on an EV that they are charging 66% more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭stesaurus

steelboots wrote: »
    I would expect the EVs to be lower that an ICE equivalent ? slower car, generally driven slower etc...

I'm paying €290 on a 99 CDI C220 Merc (granted it is only 3rd party, no fire & theft) but I have driving other cars, step back and breakdown.

Is the risk that much greater on an EV that they are charging 66% more ?

Not sure what you mean by slower, maybe not capable of 100mph+ but not something I'd generally think of as slow.

I'd say the value of the newer car could be the cause plus you're likely to see an increase on your current policy this year anyway. Insurance is rising

By slower I mean top speed of 89 mph vs 120 mph on my 16 year old Merc, which would you prefer to be a passenger in a New Leaf @ 89mph, or a 16 ye old Merc @ 120mph......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought top speeds wouldn't factor into it as technically you're not allowed drive at anywhere near those speeds regardless. I would assume that acceleration, bhp and likeliness of being a boy racer favorite would have more bearing. Then again insurance loading seems like a dark art so who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Mine is €850 fully comp and step back with 123.ie. I'm 33, Nissan leaf SVE 151. Living in Drogheda and my wife is a named driver, she's a learner with no experience. I'd expect it to be much lower on my own.. Give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

s.welstead wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought top speeds wouldn't factor into it as technically you're not allowed drive at anywhere near those speeds regardless. I would assume that acceleration, bhp and likeliness of being a boy racer favorite would have more bearing. Then again insurance loading seems like a dark art so who knows

They are still using engine displacement as part of the calculation. Leaf is insurance group 11 and very cheap.When I originally got the leaf I moved insurance from a 2012 Avensis and got about €100 back for the remaining 6 months.

A frequent issue is that the wrong insurance group is quoted for, you may have to double check everything on their side as someone in a call center wouldn't know the difference. That might involve asking for a supervisor to double check the rate.

I check all insurers pricing every renewal. I currently have the Leaf with Zurich and the i3 with AXA. I think the Leaf was about €370 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cros13 wrote: »
    A frequent issue is that the wrong insurance group is quoted for, you may have to double check everything on their side as someone in a call center wouldn't know the difference. That might involve asking for a supervisor to double check the rate.

Exactly what I had to do. I was initially told I had to pay an extra €900 or something when switching from my Peugeot 308. After lengthy negotiations and speaking to a supervisor they realised that they had it in the wrong insurance group and ended up giving me €70 back.

Advertisement