Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server 2003

Options
  • 11-11-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have an old 2003 server that I need to get back up and running as it has some old but important databases on it.

The issue is that it simply will not connect to the domain in any way, shape or form. It says its connected but clearly not.

I can ping nothing and no internet access either. I noticed this problem once before on a VM and removing from and reapplying to the domain resolved it but not this physical box, in fact when I removed it from the domain I'm unable to reapply it as it cannot see the DC or the network it seems.

Looks like I need someone who knows networking to help me out here.

Best regards,

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have an old 2003 server that I need to get back up and running as it has some old but important databases on it.

The issue is that it simply will not connect to the domain in any way, shape or form. It says its connected but clearly not.

I can ping nothing and no internet access either. I noticed this problem once before on a VM and removing from and reapplying to the domain resolved it but not this physical box, in fact when I removed it from the domain I'm unable to reapply it as it cannot see the DC or the network it seems.

Looks like I need someone who knows networking to help me out here.

Best regards,

What error do you get when trying to bind it to the domain?
    Do you have any custom firewall rules configured?
    Is it DHCPing or have you set the IP address manually? If DHCP, have you checked that the DHCP reservation exists and is correct? If manual, have you verified that there are no conflicts between it and another server on your network?
    Does your network have any restrictions on traffic flow between VLANs that might be blocking the server?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Error Code 0x000005B4 error_timeout
    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.{domain name}

Custom firewall rules? yes we have some forwarding rules for FTP & websites.

Tried it with both static and DHCP but no dice, when on DHCP I can see the correct address lease is there and when trying with static address I checked the list of reservations before choosing an unused address.

Don't think we have any VLAN set up on this network

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Nevermind, fixed it...

I noticed the IPsec service was stopped and wouldn't start, I also noticed that the reg key for it was missing so I registered the DLL using the command "regsvr32 polstore.dll" and networking is now working 100%

Case closed :cool:

Advertisement