Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Engineering course online

Options
  • 11-11-2015 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I've been toying with the idea of doing a course in civil engineering. It's a job that I feel would suit me and I would enjoy. The delimma I'm faced with is this, due to work and home commitments, can it be done online.

I know it's a long shot as it is such a practical subject but being in the working world the last few years and seeing how hard it is on unskilled wages, I want to educate myself now before I get any older.

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hunter101 wrote: »
    I've been toying with the idea of doing a course in civil engineering. It's a job that I feel would suit me and I would enjoy. The delimma I'm faced with is this, due to work and home commitments, can it be done online.

I know it's a long shot as it is such a practical subject but being in the working world the last few years and seeing how hard it is on unskilled wages, I want to educate myself now before I get any older.

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

I don't know of any accredited courses online personally, the last thing you need to spend a few years doing something online and then find out it is not accredited by Engineers Ireland.

Can you do it part time?
    DIT Bolton Street do a Level 6 NFQ Certificate in Civil Engineering one evening and one day per week.
    You can then do the Level 7 NFQ Bachelors Degree in Civil or Structural in the same fashion in Bolton Street.

Getting the Level 8 is the hard bit, that is full time only in Ireland at present or part time up in Belfast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If time/work is an issue do it part time.

Lots of options available depending on where you are in the country

I've studied in Trinity and DIT part time. Its possible to do while working full time and with a family. It while be very worth while for your PM skills alone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    If time/work is an issue do it part time.

Lots of options available depending on where you are in the country

I've studied in Trinity and DIT part time. Its possible to do while working full time and with a family. It while be very worth while for your PM skills alone!

+1
    I done DIT part time from 2002-2007 while working in private practice.
    Done post grad in TCD in 14/15 while working in public sector with family and kids, that was tough :)

Advertisement