Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys in cot for 9month old going to sleep?

Options
  • 11-11-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

We recently transitioned a 9 month old breastfed baby from co-sleeping to sleeping in her own cot and own room, we moved her over about 2 months ago. She's a fantastic baby and rarely cries, the only time she cries/whinges is when she's going to sleep on her own. We don't let her cry long, 5 mins max and then webreassure her we're there and comfort her when needed. It's usually more moaning than crying. I understand it's early days yet and she's still adjusting to falling asleep on her own. I was wondering does anyone give their babies toys to play with in the cot while they're trying to wind down? We have a good routine, and I try to breast feed her before putting her down to get her sleepy, but I make sure she's going in awake thus she's going off to sleep independently. She has 2 comfort toys in her cot already but she doesn't seem to use them as a distraction, they're usually the other end of the cot as she does a few 'laps' before getting comfy. I'm curious does anyone give their babies other toys to help them nod off and wind down? We have the tomy projection star playing a lullaby but she likes to fall sleep on her front so it's not much of a distraction to her. What toy/distraction if any, do you use for your little one in the cot? I've read there shouldn't be anything in the cot, not even bumpers but she likes to snuggle up to her bumper so I leave these fastened to the bars for her. TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I don't know, I feel that having toys in there is only going to stimulate her and make it harder for her to sleep.

What about a CD of relaxing music, that you put on every time you put her to bed, so she'll start to associate it with bedtime?

Or if you read her a bedtime story, read it to her after you've put her into the cot rather than before, so she'll use that for her few minutes of settling down time, with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

The advice I think is to take mobiles etc out of the cot as it causes a distraction. My little guy goes down with his comforter (had since birth and I slept with it before hand) and that is it. Just give her time and reassurance

Advertisement