Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Physics Jobs in 2015

Options
  • 11-11-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some help on this. I saw a thread on this topic here but its 5 years old at this stage.

I'm a 4th year Applied Physics student in UL looking around for graduate jobs. I have no interest in doing a Masters or PhD at the moment. Ideally, I want to have a job for a few years, get some experience under my belt and go from there.

I'm having terrible trouble finding employers who actually take physics graduates. I knew it was a niche market but there's very few that I can see!
    I really would not like to work in Dublin or anywhere around there. I've been looking at jobs in Limerick, Cork and Galway. I've applied for Analog, having done my co-op there and currently doing my FYP there but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket!

As far as I can see, there is a big market for biotech, mechanical and chemical engineering and some other engineering jobs but very few in electronic engineering and physics. Does anyone know of any smallish companies that are hiring in Summer 2016? I would love to work in the automotive, medical physics or semiconductor sector.

Regeneron is another place that looks very interesting but does anyone know of any others? Intel Shannon hire mainly computer science graduates and I would rather not work in Leixlip.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

A very picky student

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Getting a job in the semiconductor industry might be difficult without a PhD or at least a Masters.

I don't know enough about the other fields to comment.

How would you feel about finance? If you can sell your degree in terms of experience with math or programming, there should be some opportunities in that sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Morbert wrote: »
    Getting a job in the semiconductor might be difficult without a PhD or at least a Masters.

I don't know enough about the other fields to comment.

How would you feel about finance? If you can sell your degree in terms of experience with math or programming, there should be some opportunities in that sector.

Yeah I would but aren't most finance jobs Dublin based? I have plenty of LabVIEW experience which I would hope would stand to me because it's pretty versatile.

Advertisement