Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is hard to learn to sew ?

Options
  • 11-11-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying a sewing machine because I would like to make my own clothing and I was just wondering how hard is it, could anyone learn to make their own clothing ?
    The reason I would like to make my own clothing is that I am unhappy with conventional mens cloths, most of the time I wear loose knee length shorts when I am out, the shorts that I buy are much bigger than my size because I do not like wearing tight clothing and find tight clothing very uncomfortable, I wear a loose top as well.
    When I get home I do change into one of my midi skirts that I wear at home, I do not go out in a skirt because people tend to giggle and laugh at me when I do.
    I would mostly want to make loose clothing and if those of you with experience in sewing and dressmaking could let me know what they think of my idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Allan Blandford

I would like to make a few pairs of skirt/trousers, they would be extremely loose trousers that would look similar to a skirt and I would wear them out in public and then at home I would change into an ordinary skirt, I wear a skirt all the time when at home and I would like to be able to make my own skirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The answer to your question depends on your own skills. Its impossible to say it is 'easy' to learn to sew, some people can, others find it very difficult. If you are accustomed to doing any sort of craft work - even woodworking, for example - you will find it easier. With patience, learning to read and use a pattern, identify suitable fabric and work a sewing machine you could do it, but the only way to find out is to give it a go. Do you know anyone who would lend you a machine for a little while to try it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The basics of sewing itself is fairly easy to pick up I think- its the use of patterns and fitting them them that's tricky.

I'd advise looking to do a basic sewing course or two. You'll need to pick up the basics of pattern cutting, fitting, using the machine before going off on your own. Personally I can manage the sewing fine- even quite well if I'm honest- but my brain can't work out patterns and cutting at all. So I team up with my GF who fits and cuts, tells me where to sew and I do it. It's avlearning curve but well worth it.

Advertisement