Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7 Qualification Straight to Post Grad.

Options
  • 11-11-2015 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on people who have a level 7 ordinary degree or diploma and that also do a post graduate diploma without ever doing a level 8 getting jobs as engineers? I would have thought such people would not meet the criteria as an ordinary member in the IEI. I personally know of a couple of examples where this has happened. How they got the jobs I believe was due to confusion when the former diploma was re titled an ordinary degree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

On the national framework, most P.G.Dips/Hdips are level 8 qualifications. An M.A./MSc would be a level 9. I'd imagine that's how.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

endacl wrote: »
    On the national framework, most P.G.Dips/Hdips are level 8 qualifications. An M.A./MSc would be a level 9. I'd imagine that's how.

In one case I believe the post grad diploma was a level 9. However this is just a one year part time course. This hardly would qualify one as an engineer coming from a level 7.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think if you don't meet the educational entry requirements for a course but have a few, I think it's 3 or it was once, years industrial experience then that's a big help and can help swing it that you get in the course.

I've no problem with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

detones wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on people who have a level 7 ordinary degree or diploma and that also do a post graduate diploma without ever doing a level 8 getting jobs as engineers? I would have thought such people would not meet the criteria as an ordinary member in the IEI. I personally know of a couple of examples where this has happened. How they got the jobs I believe was due to confusion when the former diploma was re titled an ordinary degree.

Ordinary Member status with the IEI is obtained with the Level 7 Degree (BEng Tech MIEI or BEng MIEI). You can also get Associate Membership with 10 years experience and through the interview/thesis process (AEng AMIEI).
    endacl wrote: »

I done the Post Grad Diploma in TCD in Fire Safety Engineering and it was marked as Level 9 NFQ.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think if you don't meet the educational entry requirements for a course but have a few, I think it's 3 or it was once, years industrial experience then that's a big help and can help swing it that you get in the course.

I've no problem with that.

If you don't have the required educational experience, then you have to be directly employed in the position that is directly related to the Post Grad course and you have to pass an interview. One guy went down this route in TCD with me.

I went straight from Level 7 Ordinary Degree in Structural Engineering from DIT Bolton Street in 2007 to Level 9 Post Grad in Fire Safety Engineering from TCD in 2015, but I am not employed as an Engineer.

Advertisement