Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Sexual Health

Options
  • 10-11-2015 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

*Apologies mods if such a thread or similar exists, please feel free to merge, I could not find one*

Ok, so...

I recently took the plunge and got myself checked out for the first time. This is something that never really crossed my mind until maybe August time as I have never ever had any sort of symptoms.

Basically I became single around a year and a half ago after a long term relationship. Tinder was kinda in its infancy in Ireland and eventually I signed myself up; blissfully unaware of the huge potential for sexual encounters that lay ahead.

I don't know whether it's the poor sex ed I received at the catholic grammar I attended or the general blasé attitude I developed towards condoms, but sexual health was something that I had never even thought of. Anyway, throw in a lads holiday, plus a dozen or more Tinder-encounters, and then a few sporadic meetings and I found myself concerned. My last two sexual partners, upon discovering the number of previous partners I had (40ish), insisted I attend the GUM clinic.

At first I was slightly sceptical, as like I say have never actually displayed any symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection. I know that the symptoms can be silent though, and the more reading I did the more convinced I was that I had something, given the amount of unprotected sex I've had.

Anyway, around a month ago my then partner called the GUM clinic and made an appointment for me, exaggerating my symptoms (which were none!) in order for me to get seen sooner. She also managed to book an appointment for herself around the same time and was seen to on the same morning.

Not knowing what to expect I was quite nervous. My main concern was being swabbed which I was convinced would be part of the examination. I was also uncomfortable at the thought of being examined by a male consultant. Thankfully neither occurred.

The doctor was at first slightly annoyed at me during the triage given I had basically lied to get seen, but went ahead through a standardised questionnaire on my sexual history. As I had not displayed any symptoms I was informed that I did not need to have an examination, however I asked for one regardless (I was still expecting the swab) because I was still convinced I had something. She had a quick look and was happy that everything seemed ok upon visual inspection. Turns out a swab is only taken if any discharge/symptoms are evident.

Following this I gave a quick urine sample and had bloods taken; and was informed that I'd be contacted within two weeks or so if any of the tests came back positive (no news is good news). Yesterday was the end of the two week period however I will probably give it until next Monday to be absolutely sure (I'm quite surprised if I do turn out to be clean given the epidemic in STIs).

Anyway, I suppose the point of my post is to maybe give an idea of what is entailed when attending the GUM clinic, God knows I searched over and over to find something similar myself, and believe it or not there isn't a whole pile out there, other than a few cringey YouTube videos. It's also a typical trait in men to avoid seeing the doctor, and I know many of my own friends would be reluctant to attend, especially with potentially embarrassing symptoms. I'm not sure about in the south but in the North this service is completely confidential and does not require a GP referral.

STIs have increased something shocking in the last ten years, something like a 150% increase *i think* so it is always worth getting checked, even without any symptoms. Luckily for me (for now) I seem to have got the all clear. I'd urge anyone that's riding about on tinder to be mindful, it's all fun and games til your plonker falls off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Why would you be "...uncomfortable at the thought of being examined by a male consultant"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be the same TBH. I doubt either myself or the OP would be alone in that. I know some women who prefer another woman when dealing with that area of health. Personal preference and all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd be the same TBH. I doubt either myself or the OP would be alone in that. I know some women who prefer another woman when dealing with that area of health. Personal preference and all.

But is the op not male?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes and me as another male wouldn't be as comfortable with a male doctor as I would a female. I was merely adding that some women can have the same discomfort with dealing with another woman in matters like this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

chewed wrote: »
    Why would you be "...uncomfortable at the thought of being examined by a male consultant"?

It's just personal preference, I know I have no say as to who carries out the examination and next time I could well have a male consultant. When push comes to shove, I'd just much prefer a female handling my junk than a male lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement