Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed Out Of Festival Ticket

Options
  • 10-11-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, not sure if I'm in the right place but just looking for some advice (I know I was taking a risk buying online). I bought a hardcopy ticket from a person on Facebook's ticketdrop which then turned out to be a cancelled or refunded ticket when trying to get into Metropolis at the weekend. Basically the person bought tickets online, told ticketmaster they were never delivered to their house and then got another copy sent there and sold the original ones.

I have the persons real name, mobile number and general location as to where they live. I'm just wondering if I go to the gardai is there anything they can actually do? I'm not looking for my money back I just want to see that that person is punished.

I had also received the ticket confirmation number from the seller so I got in touch with Ticketmaster in the hope they could give me confirmation on the tickets being resent to the persons house, they told me there was nothing they could do for me due to data protection on the sellers account, which I completely understand but they said there's also absolutely nothing the Gardai can do about it either.

I find it hard to accept that absolutely nothing can be done even if I can identify the person to the gardai, if they suspect a crime was committed can they not request information from ticketmaster? Just looking if someone can point me in the right direction or tell me if it's worth going to the guards or not as I don't want to waste their time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hey guys, not sure if I'm in the right place but just looking for some advice (I know I was taking a risk buying online). I bought a hardcopy ticket from a person on Facebook's ticketdrop which then turned out to be a cancelled or refunded ticket when trying to get into Metropolis at the weekend. Basically the person bought tickets online, told ticketmaster they were never delivered to their house and then got another copy sent there and sold the original ones.

I have the persons real name, mobile number and general location as to where they live. I'm just wondering if I go to the gardai is there anything they can actually do? I'm not looking for my money back I just want to see that that person is punished.

I had also received the ticket confirmation number from the seller so I got in touch with Ticketmaster in the hope they could give me confirmation on the tickets being resent to the persons house, they told me there was nothing they could do for me due to data protection on the sellers account, which I completely understand but they said there's also absolutely nothing the Gardai can do about it either.

I find it hard to accept that absolutely nothing can be done even if I can identify the person to the gardai, if they suspect a crime was committed can they not request information from ticketmaster? Just looking if someone can point me in the right direction or tell me if it's worth going to the guards or not as I don't want to waste their time.

How did you pay for the ticket online. Does the T&C of the site you bought it on do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

How did you pay for the ticket online. Does the T&C of the site you bought it on do anything for you.

I didn't pay for it online sorry, I just dealt with them on Facebook and then met with them in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Yes you can report them to the Gardaí for making a gain or causing a loss by deception contrary to Section 6 of the Theft and Fraud Offences Act, 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

We had friends in common on Facebook that I have since got in touch with to confirm it is her real name etc.

• Advertisement

Yes you can report them to the Gardaí for making a gain or causing a loss by deception contrary to Section 6 of the Theft and Fraud Offences Act, 2001.

Thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thank you very much!

Even if AGS do nothing with YOUR complaint, but if enough complaints are lodged against this person, they will have to act eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Plus, of course, you can take your own proceedings against the guy to recover the ticket price.

To prosecute successfully, the guards will have to prove that at the time he sold it to you he knew the ticket was dud. But to recover your money from him, you just have to prove that he sold it to you, and it was dud.

Thanks guys, ticketmaster were quite unhelpful and wouldn't give me any information, or proof, that the ticket was dud so I'm not sure how exactly I can prove it. I still have the ticket stub so I'll pass to the guards.

Hopefully once I go to them m they'll be able to deal with it. It's not really about the money to a degree, moreso I'm angry about the fact I don't think it should be so easy to do such a thing without any possibility of repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Thanks guys, ticketmaster were quite unhelpful and wouldn't give me any information, or proof, that the ticket was dud so I'm not sure how exactly I can prove it. I still have the ticket stub so I'll pass to the guards.

Hopefully once I go to them m they'll be able to deal with it. It's not really about the money to a degree, moreso I'm angry about the fact I don't think it should be so easy to do such a thing without any possibility of repercussions.

Aren't tickets non-transferable?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thanks guys, ticketmaster were quite unhelpful and wouldn't give me any information, or proof, that the ticket was dud so I'm not sure how exactly I can prove it.
    You can give that evidence. You attended at the event, you presented your ticket, it was rejected and you were turned away.

Advertisement