Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal dump?

Options
  • 10-11-2015 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know details re the "illegal dump" at the Mud Dock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That is a bit confusing.
    Right now there are private boats there, no dumping what I know of.

Bitta googling throws up this
    http://connachttribune.ie/campaign-restore-old-dock-galway/
    The group’s spokesperson, Sam Corbett, says if the dock is preserved and restored, it could become the home of the iconic Naomh Éanna ship, which is being restored.
    http://www.liamgeraghty.com/liamswavelength/rescuing-the-naomh-eanna/
    The Naomh Éanna was used as an Aran Islands ferry from the 1950s and was due to be destroyed earlier this year. I went to meet Sam Field Corbett – the man trying to rescue the ship and turn it into an 82 bed boutique hostel and restaurant in Galway.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/19/eanna-old-iron/
    “A campaign has been launched to save The Naomh Éanna, a ship once linked to Galway to the Aran Islands, is dued to be scrapped this week. The vessel, owned by the Nautical Trust, is maintained by Waterways Ireland, which says the ship is unsalvageble.”

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

From the Tribune July 2014 -

In 2011, a test dig to establish the existence of the original quay walls which lie under the infill discovered all sorts of general waste, building waste and plastics topped by soil and turf.
    Restore the Old Dock Campaign, which includes local boat owners and Galway Hooker and Currach makers, want the fill removed so that the full Old Dock wall would be restored and visible. They say the rubbish is surfacing during storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

PMd you there MrsO' but there have been a couple if replies while I was typing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Apparently in the mid to late 90's a ton of building material and rubbish was dumped in there and filled in with soil and a grass top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Tangent I know but I heard from friends doing research that soil samples done around South Park revealed some dangerous results. Lots of toxic chemicals and rubbish dumped there in the past with soil/grass on top to cover it up. I am not sure if it ever made the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tangent I know but I heard from friends doing research that soil samples done around South Park revealed some dangerous results. Lots of toxic chemicals and rubbish dumped there in the past with soil/grass on top to cover it up. I am not sure if it ever made the papers.

it sure did

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Basically, the area highlighted in red is now nice grass, but wasn't always.

Good luck in having all of that dug out. (I say that from the side of someone who would love to see the old walls brought back to their former glory)

Advertisement