Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS guy looking for android advice

Options
  • 09-11-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

First off, I've got my hands in the air here, I'm an iOS guy & have little or no experience with Android & I come begging advice, please be gentle with me, this is my first rodeo.

I've been tasked with putting some retail display units into stores & they're inexpensive android tablets running KitKat (I'm almost sure it's KitKat). Sooooo..... I have some questions...

(1) I need to be able to run a video on them in a continuous loop, so I need a player app that's able to do that, would you have some recommendations please?

(2) I need the device to boot directly into the video player & play the video on loop, is this possible with the app recommended?

(3) Is it possible to FTP into the device over ftp (on a mac) from my location in Ireland, to the device in a different location - Ireland, USA or UK etc & change the video file on occasion?

(4) If so, could you please recommend an app or some site where I can learn how to?

I hope you can help me, as I said, I'm not really sure if this is possible & if it is, what I should be looking for.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Changed the questions in the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You've a few challenges especially if their going into a retail environment.

Yes you could get the video running in a loop and disable the buttons on the tablet but what are you going to do if somebody turns off the power to the tablet and it needs to be re-run, expecting the shop assistants to do it will probably result in it not being done.
    How are you going to secure these devices and still make them accessible to staff if they need to reboot after a crash etc.

For what your trying to do, would a series of screens linked through a router and content loaded on from a central source be more suitable, or a very cheap client in each store.

What your trying to do it not simple, especially if your not sure what your doing.

The tablet idea may work but your going to run into so many issues it could be a disaster.

If it was me, I dunno i'd suggest getting some posters made or something. Unless you've a big time, maintenance and cash budget for the project.

have a look here, might be worth a call to get an idea of cost http://mycustomer.ie/products/pop-digital/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

The tablets are in a security case, with only the power button accessible from the back of the unit (& they're going to be placed against a wall).

Staff will be shown what to do in case the power is cut, but I wanted to reduce the interaction to zero if possible.

We do have a small budget for the project, but the tablets were so inexpensive, we bought spares for a straight swap out should anything go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ok you've thought of a few of the problems, something like mx player can be set on a loop, as for remotely updating I don't know are you allowed access through the stores networks, check out something like ftp player it supports mx video.

Advertisement