Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change email address

Options
  • 09-11-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have had an eircom.net (eircom webmail) address since the beginning of time which despite my best intentions to change it is still my main email address. I get emails on my IPad, IPhone and laptop. I also have a gmail address which I use occasionally.

My laptop died and I bought a new one today and really want to start off with a clean sheet and use the gmail address exclusively from now on. My question is how to discontinue the eircom.net address but make sure that I still receive the eircom emails until everything is moved across to gmail. I would have expected a forwarding option on the eircom (now eir) webmail page but can't find it under "preferences" as I was told would be the case. Separately and possibly related my new laptop says that any email I use has to be IMAP (which I gather Eircom isn't) which means I couldn't use it even if I wanted to. What is IMAP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

IMAP is a method of contacting a mail server to download your mails. Its a bit more advanced than POP3, an earlier standard. You could try out Thunderbird, a mail client from Mozilla. Also I believe you can set up Gmail to collect the eircom mails for you.

I have a gmail account but dont use it for privacy issues, and an eircom one I can't remember the password for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pjmn

This is what I did - set up an auto-forward on my eircom account to my gmail account - since then have never opened the eircom email as they all land in my gmail one - since doing that I use the gmail address for all new contacts etc so over time the majority of emails come direct to the gmail address anyway...

Hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Laverna

Thank you for that. The thing is if I go to the eircom webmail (now eir) page and go into my account - where I see my emails etc.- under Preferences I can't see any option to forward mail to another email address. Have you seen that page recently to see if it's still the same?

Similarly on the 2nd reply I can't see anything when I log into gmail to allow me to tell it to import from another email address as in the 2nd reply?

Am I missing something somewhere? I do appreciate the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

in gmail its in settings and then accounts

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pjmn

It's years since I logged in to the eircom email...

But I've just logged in to it...

Click on Preferences

Then on the Mail tab on the left

Then in the Receiving Messages panel - put in the gmail address

{Sorry I'm no help on the other queries}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its super easy to just add a forward.

Fr6kBiQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Laverna

I can't get that eir page. I think I just have the very basic old email account.i I found the gmail settings on the desktop site as opposed to the mobile site so I think it's ok and have set it up,to fetch the eircom files.

Thanks

Advertisement