Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions about SUSI and College fees in general

Options
  • 09-11-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So Im 21 and looking to go back to college in 2016. I dropped out of a level 8 course in Carlow IT in March of 2014 in my first year. I was a fool to do so and Im regretting it now but Ive been working pretty much ever since and have a good bit saved up.

My questions are - From what I understand I wont be able to get another Susi grant until my second year, is this correct? Or if I was to do a level 7 course would I get a grant then? And if I was to pay myself from what I gather I'll just be paying the Student contribution fees, nothing else?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

TheStook wrote: »
    My questions are - From what I understand I wont be able to get another Susi grant until my second year, is this correct?
    Correct
    Or if I was to do a level 7 course would I get a grant then?
    Nope, don't think so.
    And if I was to pay myself from what I gather I'll just be paying the Student contribution fees, nothing else?

Also incorrect - As you dropped out in March you'll be required to pay the full tuition fees also for the first year (as well as the student contribution).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Correct

Nope, don't think so.

Also incorrect - As you dropped out in March you'll be required to pay the full tuition fees also for the first year (as well as the student contribution).

Ugh Yikes, how much we talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Depends entirely on the course and college/university you plan on attending. Could be as high as €10,000 (some courses in trinity) or as low as €3819 (most IT's for non-engineering courses only have €819 tuition fees) - that's inclusive of the contribution fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ugh Yikes, how much we talking here?

SC will be a pretty flat €3000.

Tuition and misc fees are from €2000-7000. ITs tend to be cheaper. The course fees should be published online and if not the institutions admissions office will tell you with a quick call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

If you apply and qualify, you may be eligible for grant assistance after you have completed the equivalent period of study up to March.
    This would be based on you actually previously informing the college that you did in fact drop out in March and it has been recorded on your attendance record..
    Some students don't inform the colleges that they dropped out and therefore are administered as a full year completed, losing out on some grant assistance when they attend another course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Sup08 wrote: »
    If you apply and qualify, you may be eligible for grant assistance after you have completed the equivalent period of study up to March.
    This would be based on you actually previously informing the college that you did in fact drop out in March and it has been recorded on your attendance record..
    Some students don't inform the colleges that they dropped out and therefore are administered as a full year completed, losing out on some grant assistance when they attend another course.

Yep I was one of those idiots unfortunately. Kicking myself now but what can you do. I've grown and learned a lot since then.

There is a chance I can get the Susi grant again as an exceptional circumstance as one of the reasons I dropped out, the main reason in fact, was due to my mother getting a rare kidney disease and having to look after her. She was diagnosed in June but misdiagnosed for months until they discovered that. So hopefully something will come out of that but if not ll have to suck it up and pay the €5000~.

Does anyone know when the Susi applications usually open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Does anyone know when the Susi applications usually open?

Usually mid May of the year of entry.

Advertisement