Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Cinema in Dublin to close down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Ageyev wrote: »
    Broadsheet.ie report that the Screen cinema is to close down
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/11/06/the-last-picture-show/

Entertainment. Ie contacted management but they had no comment.
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Is-Dublins-Screen-Cinema-closing-down/372559.htm

Shame :(

They had a good thing going 3/4 years back with a lot of Classic screenings then seemed to stop doing it for some reason... a classic old school movie theatre...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Great memories of sitting through Return of The Jedi twice back when it was called the Metropole. At that time they used to show an accompanying short film, in this case it was a 30 minute documentary about the timber industry in Norway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Great memories of sitting through Return of The Jedi twice back when it was called the Metropole. At that time they used to show an accompanying short film, in this case it was a 30 minute document about the timber industry in Norway!

To be honest, going to see Predator there about five years ago was one of my most enjoyable cinema experiences :pac: :D

WHIP IT! wrote:
    They had a good thing going 3/4 years back with a lot of Classic screenings then seemed to stop doing it for some reason... a classic old school movie theatre...

I went to Rear Window there last year turned out to be a dvd projection, haven't been back, if only they had become a proper rep cinema showing 35mm or at least D Cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭lc180

Broadsheet.ie report that the Screen cinema is to close down
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/11/06/the-last-picture-show/

Entertainment. Ie contacted management but they had no comment.
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Is-Dublins-Screen-Cinema-closing-down/372559.htm

Such a shame. I've lived in Dublin for 4 years and loved going there for the odd film now and again. It had comfy seats and a bit of character.

Not surprised it's shutting though, I've never been to a busy screening there and the noise bleed from the neighbouring screens was really noticeable. I remember I saw a tense thriller style film there not too long ago and some scenes were ruined with the noise from the Daft Punk Biopic showing in screen 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I went to Rear Window there last year turned out to be a dvd projection, haven't been back, if only they had become a proper rep cinema showing 35mm or at least D Cinema.

They didn't do themselves any favours projecting DVDs. You could project a bluray and get away with it but DVD looks kinda crap projected.

They didn't do themselves any favours projecting DVDs. You could project a bluray and get away with it but DVD looks kinda crap projected.

I wouldn't be happy with a Blu Ray either but you can see how desperate they were when they wouldn't even splash out 20 bills on the Rear Window Blu Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

lc180 wrote: »
    Such a shame. I've lived in Dublin for 4 years and loved going there for the odd film now and again. It had comfy seats and a bit of character.

Not surprised it's shutting though, I've never been to a busy screening there and the noise bleed from the neighbouring screens was really noticeable. I remember I saw a tense thriller style film there not too long ago and some scenes were ruined with the noise from the Daft Punk Biopic showing in screen 2.

Always liked this cinema too. I remember seeing Total Recall and The Thing maybe two years ago there and they where packed both times. Think when they stopped doing the classics it killed them as people just went elsewhere for new releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Never minded the classics being shown on DVD so much.

Sure the first time I seen Terminator it was on an old portable TV and I had to mess with the tracking for ages to get it right. I get that we'd all prefer 35mm screenings but it's not a prerequisite for an enjoyable screening.

Anyway, it's a damn shame. So many memories of the place and indeed, Metro Burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I wouldn't be happy with a Blu Ray either but you can see how desperate they were when they wouldn't even splash out 20 bills on the Rear Window Blu Ray.

If it was advertised and priced at such it wouldn't be so bad. Would depend on how large it is being projected too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I split this discussion off from the Classic Screenings thread as I think it deserves its own thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a shame, though if I'm honest the last time I attended anything in there was for, I think, a fan screening of The Goonies. The classics screenings were a nice idea, even if it was obvious they were showing DVD/Blu-rays, but never likely to keep things afloat (especially as other cinemas soon got in on that particularly revenue stream). Being equally honest, I never rated it as a good cinema experience anyway as it was always a a bit of a kip, so not entirely surprised it's going under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Last time I was there the houselights were on for the first hour of the film before someone came in and turned them off. Figured it was the same guy who sold me my ticket, seemed to be the only person working there that day.

It's a shame because it could have been a great cinema, guess they just weren't getting the audience numbers for a good refurbishment. I wonder would they have done better if it didn't become such a multiplex-lite cinema in its later years. There was just no reason to see big movies there with bigger screens and better sound just up the road in the Savoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

its location and down and outs who hung around outside didn't help matters

wonder will they keep the old usher hope they do, he's something thing of a landmark,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As much of a Dublin institution as it is, I like I'm sure many others have only ever really ended up in there in recent years when JDIFF season roles around (it did host the great Horse Money fiasco turned improvved Pedro Costa Q&A this year). While the reasonably recent revamp made the foyer at least look a little bit slicker, it's definitely the most outdated of the Dublin cinemas. The noise bleed between the screens being the most obvious bugbear. Shame to see it go, but it's miraculous it has been there as long as it has.

As an aside, I think there are a very limited number of circumstances where a DVD is suitable for big screen projection - only in a case where the film is otherwise unavailable should a cinema ever consider it, and it should be flagged as clearly as possible. I certainly don't think in anything other than extraordinary circumstances I'd pay money and make the effort to watch a film in a cinema with an image quality that is just about acceptable in a home context these days. IFI to their credit are the only cinema that routinely advertise the format their classic films are showing in, and it's such a simple thing to do others engaged in the practice should be the same. I'm always reluctant to attend classic screenings otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Really sorry to hear that. Such a comfortable cinema and generally much cheaper than they massive ones. There are not many other independent cinemas left now in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭SteM

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that. Such a comfortable cinema and generally much cheaper than they massive ones. There are not many other independent cinemas left now in Dublin.

It hasn't been an independent cinema in ages though. It's an IMC cinema at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the Lighthouse just annihilates it sadly as a commercial-independent cinema. More diverse selection, vastly superior cinema quality - it's worth the trip down to Smithfield without a second thought despite the Screen's admittedly enviable location.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Went there once and would have went again if they had of had films on that I would watch or on at the right time. A piy it was a nice little cinema need to be renovated do and some extra soundproofing between the walls too. Maybe with the new cinema that is gong to be in the St Stephens green centre on the way they decided it was just that viable to keep it going anymore. Maybe someone else will take it over and maybe do good classic movies in it and get people going back to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

SteM wrote: »
    It hasn't been an independent cinema in ages though. It's an IMC cinema at the moment.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. It was a misuse of the word on my part as it just feels like one of the few cinemas that's not completely generic and awash with full sales pitch of nachos and 3D films.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Maybe with the new cinema that is gong to be in the St Stephens green centre on the way they decided it was just that viable to keep it going anymore.
    Ha that's finally going ahead? Remember reading about that back in 2010.

Will be nice to have at least 1 multiplex on the south side of the city anyway.

If it was advertised and priced at such it wouldn't be so bad. Would depend on how large it is being projected too

Large, and it was a s**t transfer on the DVD, I used to own the exact one they projected, wrong aspect ratio on the dvd and low res even for dvd, I binned it years ago. Either get a print or d-cinema file, dvd is completely unacceptable, might as well close down if you're going to stoop to that level.

philstar wrote: »
    its location and down and outs who hung around outside didn't help matters

wonder will they keep the old usher hope they do, he's something thing of a landmark,

Those "down and outs" as you call them are people working in the Irish film industry, there isn't a cent to be made in it.

As much of a Dublin institution as it is, I like I'm sure many others have only ever really ended up in there in recent years when JDIFF season roles around (it did host the great Horse Money fiasco turned improvved Pedro Costa Q&A this year). While the reasonably recent revamp made the foyer at least look a little bit slicker, it's definitely the most outdated of the Dublin cinemas. The noise bleed between the screens being the most obvious bugbear. Shame to see it go, but it's miraculous it has been there as long as it has.

As an aside, I think there are a very limited number of circumstances where a DVD is suitable for big screen projection - only in a case where the film is otherwise unavailable should a cinema ever consider it, and it should be flagged as clearly as possible. I certainly don't think in anything other than extraordinary circumstances I'd pay money and make the effort to watch a film in a cinema with an image quality that is just about acceptable in a home context these days. IFI to their credit are the only cinema that routinely advertise the format their classic films are showing in, and it's such a simple thing to do others engaged in the practice should be the same. I'm always reluctant to attend classic screenings otherwise.

For me it would be like going to a gig in the Olympia and they were using computer speakers instead of a proper PA. :mad:

Going to see a DVD projected in the cinema is like paying gourmet prices for a microwave meal. Only if the film is some rare hard to find gem like this would I even bother.

Took the bus into Dublin one night to see The Big Lebowski there, only for it play 20 minutes late and have terrible picture and sound quality. I could have stayed at home, watched it, fit in another movie for the time it took to get the bus and also ordered in a pizza for the price I paid. Such a waste.

Advertisement