Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag Heuer Carrera Wearable 01

Options
  • 09-11-2015 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭

Launching today at Baselworld 2015 and could be the first half decent competitor to the apple watch. Be interesting to see how it turns out! Any of the W&T posters happen to be heading to Baselworld this year? This may turn into a Baselworld thread if it turns out to be a dud lol

7251-eb30e6fe7652dc921a0796b01fe6870f-1444728507-co6d-column-width-inline.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No heart rate monitor, 1350euro and 25hr battery, were not there just yet:(

http://www.wareable.com/android-wear/tag-heuer-android-wear-price-release-date-specs-958

On sale in the states today limited to 1000 pieces, europe next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Meh, another analogue-a-like android watch :| This is even more underwhelming than I expected.

Personally I think (and I am often wrong) that any luxury smart watches will need to be mobile device agnostic and just use whatever functionality a standard Bluetooth connection will provide, even if that means scaling down the features.
    Tag Heuer's tagline refers to eternity and the company says it was simply not willing to create a product that couldn't last forever.

Users can opt top have their Tag Heuer Connected changed for a mechanical watch in the future, should they opt not to upgrade to future Tag smartwatches.

It won't be upgraded for free, of course. Don't talk crazy. In fact, it will cost exactly the same for the replacement mechanical fitting as the original smartwatch, with the work costing $1,500.

What a load of complete bollocks. IIRC, Biver was going on about how the Apple Watch wasn't future proof - and he's right. But this is a pretty loose definition, to put it very charitably.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Bivets definition of future proof is that do a fee the watch can be traded in for a mechanical after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just don't get it... there is little smart about these watches. I see it is IP67 rated, but what does that actually mean? Can it be used swimming/diving?

A smart watch needs to have advanced or 'smart' functionality... such as acting as a dive computer, or a golf gps (which already exists in watch form). I'm sure there are plenty of other advanced applications...

IMO this is a cynical exercise to get young monied professionals interested in timepieces. You can't buy the coloured straps without going into the boutique and being surrounded by mechanical watches... They give you the opportunity to swap out for a mechanical watch in two years... I think this is a branding exercise aimed at young people rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I just don't get it... there is little smart about these watches. I see it is IP67 rated, but what does that actually mean? Can it be used swimming/diving?

Some simplified definitions here for the IP ratings

http://aceeca.com/handhelds/ip67

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Homer wrote: »
    Launching today at Baselworld 2015 and could be the first half decent competitor to the apple watch. Be interesting to see how it turns out! Any of the W&T posters happen to be heading to Baselworld this year?

Might go over in March...any idea how to get a ticket?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A smart watch needs to have advanced or 'smart' functionality... such as acting as a dive computer, or a golf gps (which already exists in watch form). I'm sure there are plenty of other advanced applications...

Notifications as the main use case works very well for Pebble. (BTW, there is a golf GPS app available for Android Wear watches).

But whatever about the point of smartwatches in general - I can't see how this adds anything new at all to the Android matches already on the market. It certainly doesn't look very premium.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eoin wrote: »
    What a load of complete bollocks. IIRC, Biver was going on about how the Apple Watch wasn't future proof - and he's right. But this is a pretty loose definition, to put it very charitably.
    +1. Utter ballsology. Lucky for the Swiss smart watches are, for the moment anyway, not a direct competitor for wristspace in the luxury watch segment. Yet. If it does become one then I can see the quartz crisis all over again. Though this time the Japanese would also be hit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yep, some article today was saying that the Apple Watch has affected Swiss watch sales, but in the < $500 range - which is exactly what was expected by many. The likes of Tissot Touch type watches that have some fancy features, but not as many as a smart watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

I really struggle to see the point of smart watches. I already have internet/email/youtube/music/phone/whataspp/texts etc on a smartphone so I don't get the benefits of having more or less the same thing in a watch shaped device.

• Advertisement

I really struggle to see the point of smart watches. I already have internet/email/youtube/music/phone/whataspp/texts etc on a smartphone so I don't get the benefits of having more or less the same thing in a watch shaped device.

I get the reluctance about them, particularly on this forum (we're not really their target market) and it's been discussed a few times already.

But in relation to this particular watch, it's a poor offering IMO. It doesn't look very premium, doesn't have any of the longevity that was talked about and doesn't seem to offer anything new at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My previous take on these remains the same. As mynameis905 noted I/we already have a smart phone. Which have become the pocket watches of today(if we're comparing). Now the pocketwatch was superseded by the wristwatch because it had the same functionality, but more convenience. The smart watch of today is more akin to an existing pocketwatch owner of the early 1900's deciding to also wear a wristwatch, though in the smart watch's case the functionality isn't comparable.

As for this TAG release? I have to say and IMH of course; Apple 1, TAG 0. Biver has completely missed the point.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I see today that LG are launching a watch that has its own built in LTE receiver...

Does the TAG have this? if not it's already a generation behind!

I went to the tag boutique in Dubai Mall today to check this out. They didn't have it, nor will they till the end of December... I wanted information on what the trade in mechanical would look like. But they weren't able to tell me.

While I was there I tried on a 46mm watch to see the size, and also checked out watches in the same price bracket... Plus I checked out a few other watch boutiques to see what was on offer.

I need a casual/leisure watch that can take a bit of abuse, to wear in the pool and at the beach etc... And for some bizarre reason, this appeals to me... Even though I'm aware of the negatives... But also because I like the idea of a trade in in two years.

But the trade in depends on the detail of the watch. The following article shows three different three hand faces... One with day + date, one with date and one without... Either of the first two would look good but the third looks too plain to me. Also the single crown is on the minimal side for a watch this size...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/my...vin-rose-video

US site is out of stock

Here's the mechanical variation:

368708.jpg

368709.jpg

If it was a "free" upgrade after a couple of years it would be bad enough, but to double charge for a cutdown Hublot knockoff? Eh… No. They're making the same mistakes they made when quartz came along, the main one being the idea that "Swiss means luxury and authenticity so consumers will continue to buy the BS at high prices". And they've often been proven right, at least among a large enough segment of the consumer base. EG constant increases of pricing at point of sale(even for the same watch over time QV Speedies and Subs) and latterly daft pricing(and wait times) for servicing. Quartz shattered that notion and the smart watch may do the same.

I get your point, but this watch appeals to me on allot of levels
    1. the design is far superior to other smart watches
    2. it is a watch rather than a housing with strap for a computer
    3. most smart watches look like they were modeled on the entries of an Argos catalog
    4. it can stand up to a beating, is sporty in nature and can be worn for many activities
    5. most smartwatches have sporty looks that don't carry through
    6. this would be secondary to allot of peoples mechanical watches
    7. for 2600euros, you get a nice mechanical watch after two years (if you want)
    8. Its allot more substantial than many of the mechanical watches in the same price category
    9. Its got new/superior screen technology (which most reports have missed)
    10. it functions in sunlight (can't believe most smart watches don't meet this criteria)

I think this watch is interesting of what it tries to be... they have left out heart rate monitor because the technology isn't up to standard... everyone else puts it in as a novelty, but they know its not accurate... Its a timepiece and a personal device as opposed to a piece of technology. Not even apple could get that part right. The iWatch is a TV Screen with a strap, even if you do buy the 2000euro Hermes strap, it is still a tarted up screen... A piece of technology first. I think TAG have tried to make a device that is a watch first. It seems to me to be quite a lot of watch for the price, however, by current standards, it may not be allot of smartwatch for the price.

That's not to say they have it perfect, but its a good starting point.

the design is far superior to other smart watches
    it is a watch rather than a housing with strap for a computer
    The design aspect falls down to personal tastes, but when a new tech comes along the forward thinking designers don't slavishly follow previous designs. EG the man's wristwatch itself. When it first started out it was a small pocket watch with bolted on bits of wire to allow attachment of a strap. Pretty quickly designers got with the programme that this was a new direction and came out with Tank styles, ovals, waterproof Oyster cases etc. This TAG is the smart watch equivalent of the early 1900's Trench watch. Now this would be lazy enough if everyone was doing the same thing but quite the number of smart watch designs have engaged with the technology and possibilities. Not just Apple either. The plain fact is a smart watch is a computer with a strap. Pretending it's an "authentic luxury Swiss timepiece with soul" will convince only the most slavish of fans in the longterm. As I say they tried similar when quartz came along(though far far more imaginatively), but had no answers when the second wave of quartz(digital especially) came along and the Swiss industry caved in(only to be saved ironically by a second wave cheap quartz…).
    for 2600euros, you get a nice mechanical watch after two years (if you want)
    Its allot more substantial than many of the mechanical watches in the same price category
    Which speaks much more of the mahoosive margins on some Swiss mechanical watches. On a budget of 2600 quid one can find quite a number of very well made and very robust Swiss and other timepieces. On pretty much every metric your average say Damasko or Sinn would blow the doors off this TAG(as a mechanical watch). There'd be a couple of Swiss marques in the game too.

Then again Biver was able to convince enough that IMH vastly overpriced and crass tat like Hublot was worth buying. I get the impression that he's trying to make TAG Hublot Lite to some degree. There will always be that market segment, that to paraphrase an old line "never mind the quality, feel the logo" and he well knows it and is good at exploiting it.

Put it another way, if this was a Hamilton or god forbid a Casio no way would it be getting the column inches or support.
    [*]Its got new/superior screen technology (which most reports have missed)
    [*]it functions in sunlight (can't believe most smart watches don't meet this criteria)
    Yea that is odd alright. A chap I know has one of the Apple ones and it seemed fine in daylight, but to be fair I didn't have much time with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I think this watch is interesting of what it tries to be... they have left out heart rate monitor because the technology isn't up to standard... everyone else puts it in as a novelty, but they know its not accurate... Its a timepiece and a personal device as opposed to a piece of technology. Not even apple could get that part right. The iWatch is a TV Screen with a strap, even if you do buy the 2000euro Hermes strap, it is still a tarted up screen... A piece of technology first. I think TAG have tried to make a device that is a watch first. It seems to me to be quite a lot of watch for the price, however, by current standards, it may not be allot of smartwatch for the price.

I think you may be betraying some implicit bias there toward the Swiss maker. e.g the heart rate monitor in the apple watch has been shown to be incredibly accurate already - Apple technology obviously is up to standard you mention! (see http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/apple-watch-heart-rate-monitor-accuracy/ ) Plus, re your list, I had a cheap Pebble that was absolutely fine in direct sunlight. And was, basically, completely waterproof. Whether you like the looks of watches though is obviously a more personal choice but I personally find it quite disappointing that Tag is just copying the faces from other Tag models and sticking them on top of Android - for the price being asked, I really expected to see something a lot more innovative and interesting than that.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Put it another way, if this was a Hamilton or god forbid a Casio no way would it be getting the column inches or support.
    Indeed! :)

• Advertisement

Here's an interesting way to turn your existing - if you have one - Tag into a smart watch!

https://www.wearchronos.com/

Advertisement