Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK.gov finally promises legally binding broadband service obligation – by 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

bealtine wrote: »
    UK.gov finally promises legally binding broadband service obligation – by 2020

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/09/uk_government_broadband_universal_service_obligation_pledge/
    I sure hope that doesn't happen in Ireland rather 30mb down and 6 up than 10mb that just bad and by 2020.

I hope wisp don't try to use this and try target our 30mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭clohamon

The Scope:
    In 2015, Ofcom reported that approximately 2.4 million (8 per cent) of premises in the UK were unable to receive broadband speeds above 10Mbps. We currently estimate that, even with BDUK’s existing intervention and continued commercial roll-out, up to 1 million UK premises will not be able to access speeds of 10Mbps or higher by the end of 2017. While these premises will be spread throughout the UK, and include homes and businesses in cities as well as very remote locations, we expect they will be predominantly in rural areas with more than half a million of these premises forecast to be in rural locations, and more than 100,000 in remote rural locations.

The Timetable:
    DCMS is commissioning Ofcom to undertake detailed analysis of the key factors that will help inform the design of the USO. We are asking Ofcom to report on its findings by the end of the year. It is our intention to consult on proposals for secondary legislation following that, and a regulatory impact assessment will accompany that consultation. This second consultation will cover the detail of the USO and will provide an opportunity to comment on the design of the USO and how it is to be implemented. Once the secondary legislation is in place, Ofcom will then carry out work on the detailed design and regulatory implementation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/510148/Broadband_Universal_Service_Obligation.pdf

clohamon wrote: »
    I feel sorry for those living in remote areas 10MB pretty slow I'm on 4MB I can't game online if my brother on YouTube.The pages can be slow to load and my pings can be very high I can just about call it broadband.The NBP can't start soon enough hearing it middle of 2017 before it starts which is terrible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The UK seemed to be doing really well with the speed in which they rolled out 512k ADSL broadband back around the very early 2000s when most people in Ireland were still on 56k dialup/Esat Surf No Limits and ISDN. Considering this is now 2016 they seem to have fallen behind alot and our urban areas have surpassed the UK and if Eir''s FTTH network is completed by 2020 many of our rural areas will be much faster than them as well.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The UK seemed to be doing really well with the speed in which they rolled out 512k ADSL broadband back around the very early 2000s when most people in Ireland were still on 56k dialup/Esat Surf No Limits and ISDN. Considering this is now 2016 they seem to have fallen behind alot and our urban areas have surpassed the UK and if Eir''s FTTH network is completed by 2020 many of our rural areas will be much faster than them as well.
    well uk had FTTH well before us and the B4RN does rural FTTH wish we had something like that in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    well uk had FTTH well before us and the B4RN does rural FTTH wish we had something like that in Ireland.

That is true but I think there coverage is very sparse considering the size and population of the UK and the B4RN is only available in Cumbria?

Eir's FTTH scheme is very widespread and fairly evenly spread throughout Ireland. If Eir complete this by 2020 and Siro manage to finally get up and running we should be well ahead of the UK with FTTH in terms of how widespread it is.

Advertisement