Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightroom catalogue migration question

Options
  • 09-11-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm switching external hard drives and I want to know how I go about the process so that when I plug in the new hdd into my laptop that Lightroom recognises it with the new location of photos etc?

Basically I want to know what I should do in order to make a replica of my current situation on the new hard drive.

I'm using LR4 on a mac.

TIA.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Are you moving photos to a new external disk? You want to duplicate what you already have?

Just make sure the disk label/name is the same, and then the same structure/files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

If you copy and paste all of the files and maintain the file / folder structure when you open Lightroom the folder will we darkened out and there will be a a question mark on the folder, right click on the folder and select "find missing photos" then show Lightroom where the new folder is and it will take care of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I'm moving to a new external disk. I want to keep everything exactly the same....just on a different hard drive.

Keeping the same disk name - I don't understand what you mean here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Each disk has a label. Normally it's the maker/disk type, etc.

So, I have a WD "My Passport" disk on my computer. The disk label is "My Passport". If I plugged in a Seagate disk it would have a different label. So, if I renamed it to My Passport, then Lightroom would think it's the same disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Paulw wrote: »
    Each disk has a label. Normally it's the maker/disk type, etc.

So, I have a WD "My Passport" disk on my computer. The disk label is "My Passport". If I plugged in a Seagate disk it would have a different label. So, if I renamed it to My Passport, then Lightroom would think it's the same disk.

Ah, I get you now!

But I'd also like to keep the old drive and use as one of my back ups. So having more than 1 hdd plugged in with the same name would surely cause a problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement