Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle Development

Options
  • 09-11-2015 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I would like to get into oracle development-I'm currently do java programming. Any ideas of how to get into this ?

I studied computer science in college & also a qualified accountant.

I'm thinking of sending my cv to Oracle companies, but not sure where to get a list of such companies.

Any advice, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What do you mean by Oracle development?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

First, when it comes to development 'with' Oracle, you're not confined to just Java. C# and .NET is also good to have. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/visual-studio/overview/index.html

I can't say I've ever heard of Oracle specific Companies. Maybe Oracle partners who work with or use Oracle Technologies. Have a look at Oracle to see what they provide and what learning resources they have available to you.

Itzy wrote: »
    First, when it comes to development 'with' Oracle, you're not confined to just Java. C# and .NET is also good to have. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/visual-studio/overview/index.html

I think that's my point - there's developing with Oracle and Oracle development (e.g. Forms, Apex, PL/SQL, etc.).
    Itzy wrote: »
    I can't say I've ever heard of Oracle specific Companies. Maybe Oracle partners who work with or use Oracle Technologies. Have a look at Oracle to see what they provide and what learning resources they have available to you.

Lots of companies are Oracle shops. Look for the older, more established companies. Also lots of Oracle in Public Sector organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi Thanks for posts

By Oracle development I mean Oracle Financials.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

So any advice on how to get into Oracle Financials or where would I get a list of companies which use Oracle Financials in Dublin, so I can apply to them directly? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you searched LinkedIn? Try searching for Oracle Financials or Oracle Developers to get an idea who's using it.

I'm not suggesting it's a bad market to get into but the demand for Oracle Financials has dropped over the last year http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/oracle%20financials.do

harry999 wrote: »
    where would I get a list of companies which use Oracle Financials in Dublin

I often wonder, when I see a request like this, who would actually compile such a list? Would a company that buys a piece of software add their names to some list? Would the vendor, Oracle in this case, compile a list and publish it? Extremely unlikely, I would assume.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I often wonder, when I see a request like this, who would actually compile such a list? Would a company that buys a piece of software add their names to some list? Would the vendor, Oracle in this case, compile a list and publish it? Extremely unlikely, I would assume.
    There would be data protection and/or confidentiality issues here most likely by publishing their customer base.
    It wouldn't be a prudent business move either i.e. handing say SAP or Microsoft a list of customers who may in the future move to a different platform.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

harry999 wrote: »
    So any advice on how to get into Oracle Financials or where would I get a list of companies which use Oracle Financials in Dublin, so I can apply to them directly? Thanks

You could take a look at any of the Oracle partners in Dublin:

https://solutions.oracle.com/scwar/scr/AboutPartners/index.html

Advertisement