Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thick Of It Vs. VEEP

Options
  • 09-11-2015 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭

Got the entire series today and just watched the first. Love it & can see the crossover similarities with VEEP (which is my favourite show).

Is VEEP a total remake or do the situations change (ie have I seen this show before)?

Also who's who, the Hugh is Selina, obviously, & I think I know Ollie is Dan, , but who is everyone else?

Or should I forget about VEEP & just take this one at face value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not a remake as such, since all the characters and scripts are new, but a lot of the same development and improv methods went in to Veep. Armando brought some of his people over too e.g. nine Veep episodes were directed by Chris Addison, including Election Night.

Veep has more emphasis on continuity of characters: as well as the Veep herself, we've been following Amy & Dan for four series now. Compare that to The Thick of It, where the PM was never seen at all, whole governments came and went, and only Malcolm Tucker lived through it all.

So Veep had to get the casting right, and I think they did. I was hooked as soon as Amy delivered lines like "I'm in a room with three people and a f**kload of quiche". :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They are surprisingly different shows though. I found Veep to be very Americanised, particularly in Tony Hale's character. It's like they wanted to retain all the great dialogue and situations from The Thick of It, but had to introduce a pure idiot character too.

That being said, they're both excellent shows in their own right and if you like one, you'll almost certainly like the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks guys. As I said, VEEP is my favourite show (can't believe there's a full six months to the next season). Kept meaning to watch Thick Of It, but never got around to it as I don't really like Capaldi (although he's warming on me).

Watched the first one last night & I'm hooked. Have to now set aside time every day to blast through them.

I just wanted to know was hit a straight conversion or "based upon". Although I have to say the situations are remarkably similar & the first characters I've seen such as Ollie/Dan, very alike in manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If I look at the history of Veep, the producers seem to have learned valuable lessons from a failed attempt to make an American version of The Thick Of It. There's no equivalent to Malcolm Tucker in Veep, for example, and I think the characters are more rounded. More generally, The Thick Of It had an emphasis on dealing with the press, spinning the "message", and a concern with appearances rather than substance.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement