Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert study?

Options
  • 08-11-2015 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Im in Leaving Cert at the minute, and I want to get a good grasp of the study aspect. I want to sort out a plan, one where I'm not just studying for class tests as they arise.

The subjects I'm currently doing are;
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (O)
    French (O)
    Business (H)
    Biology (H)
    Geography (H)
    Music (H)
    And LCVP.

I don't plan on counting French or Maths.
    So I won't be doing much if any study for either of those.

I was looking at the study logs and I see people have 4/5 topics covered in a day, is that homework or just study?

My teachers say it should only take you about 20 minutes to revise. I assume they mean revise over the notes/study you have been doing throughout the week. I tend to just rewrite things out. It works but it's not effective as I rarely get everything that's on a test written out!
    I get full marks on the first section of the test (part I wrote out) middle section tends to drop a couple of marks (section I rushed) and last section is where i get about 2-6 because it's just what I remembered in class!

I'm doing evening study from 4-6 Monday to Friday, I was just doing homework in it but now I'm thinking of doing just study and then homework at home (I'll do the homework but not the study at home..)

How do I sort out a efficient study plan?
    I don't have much on in the evenings and I'm aiming for 500s+ so I'm willing to put in the work!
    I've started using the Cornell notes system. I've a test Monday so that will be proof of its effectiveness!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

TheBiz wrote: »
    Im in Leaving Cert at the minute, and I want to get a good grasp of the study aspect. I want to sort out a plan, one where I'm not just studying for class tests as they arise.

The subjects I'm currently doing are;
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (O)
    French (O)
    Business (H)
    Biology (H)
    Geography (H)
    Music (H)
    And LCVP.

I don't plan on counting French or Maths.
    So I won't be doing much if any study for either of those.

I was looking at the study logs and I see people have 4/5 topics covered in a day, is that homework or just study?

My teachers say it should only take you about 20 minutes to revise. I assume they mean revise over the notes/study you have been doing throughout the week. I tend to just rewrite things out. It works but it's not effective as I rarely get everything that's on a test written out!
    I get full marks on the first section of the test (part I wrote out) middle section tends to drop a couple of marks (section I rushed) and last section is where i get about 2-6 because it's just what I remembered in class!

I'm doing evening study from 4-6 Monday to Friday, I was just doing homework in it but now I'm thinking of doing just study and then homework at home (I'll do the homework but not the study at home..)

How do I sort out a efficient study plan?
    I don't have much on in the evenings and I'm aiming for 500s+ so I'm willing to put in the work!
    I've started using the Cornell notes system. I've a test Monday so that will be proof of its effectiveness!

Just to let you know to pass your leaving cert you need a minimum D3 in OL maths. I know you say your not counting them but you need to pass it so I would advise some practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Just to let you know to pass your leaving cert you need a minimum D3 in OL maths. I know you say your not counting them but you need to pass it so I would advise some practice

I'm coming in with Bs fairly consistently.
    So I'll do a bit before major exams but as far as consistent study regardless of tests I'll stick to my big 6

Advertisement