Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current RTE presenters (yes I am looking at you Ryan & Ray)

Options
  • 08-11-2015 11:05am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking this morning about Paddy Cosgrave not being interviewed on the lls.

You know really it was no loss, I think I can predict how it would go. EITHER DLB would go way too soft (e.g. his style with some politicians or Ronan Keating) or he would go way too hard and interrogative (a bit like *Sharon Ni Bheolain on the rte news) and winding Paddy up so we get a tense and defensive interview.

Now compare and contrast that with Gay Byrne and Padraic Flynn, Gay just reeled him, gave him enough rope and just let him TALK. And talk Pee Flynn did and gave us gold-dust (CRAZY gold-dust!!!).

*In a sense I am not as mad about S Ni Bheolain on the rte news, she is a news reader, it is not necessarily supposed to be a skill of hers to "interview" per say.

But it definitely is the job of the hosts of the lls & sns to interview successfully and not upset/annoy/rattle any guest (Mia Farrow anyone?! Juliette Binoche?!) to the point that you get a very bad interview.

It has happened just too much in Tub's case imo. And while early days at the moment, it seems to be going that way with Ray Darcy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So who would you bring in that RTÉ could afford without getting people upset that they have to pay for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sharon is a journalist her job is to interrogate interviewees not give them a soft ride

Good journalists ask hard questions

There was nothing wrong with Sharon's interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Ray and Ryan have to go,that be it from me..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

efb wrote: »
    Sharon is a journalist her job is to interrogate interviewees not give them a soft ride

Good journalists ask hard questions

There was nothing wrong with Sharon's interview

No don't get me wrong I don't think there was anything wrong with Sharon asking the question. I was delighted with the interview tbh.

I just thought she could have been interrogative, but relaxed a bit more and actually let him answer the question before jumping straight in with her next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

flazio wrote: »
    So who would you bring in that RTÉ could afford without getting people upset that they have to pay for them?

Is that person in RTE at the moment? I cannot think of anyone one....

My point is you never would have got GB doing what Ryan does. Or Mike Murphy - a great interviewer, the Bertie Ahern interview a few years ago as a an example.

Graham Norton tends not to rub his interviewees up the wrong way, or he is able to recover very quickly if he does.

My post is not intended to suggest an alternative, it's just to say the current bunch are not good at what they are supposed to be good at.

• Advertisement

Graham gets more out of his guests than they had intended - he's brilliant

amdublin wrote: »
    No don't get me wrong I don't think there was anything wrong with Sharon asking the question. I was delighted with the interview tbh.

I just thought she could have been interrogative, but relaxed a bit more and actually let him answer the question before jumping straight in with her next.

Leave it too long they waffle,it's news not light entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Tbh, she's not a great interviewer.... I saw her interview some farmer in front of his cows a few months back and she doesn't have those relaxed interviewing skills - I think she is too nervous

So she is mildly panicking and asking questions in quick succession...

If you look at Ray and Tubs, they have no people skills.... or moreso, they are not interested in the deeper story, they just are following the researched information that they have and have no ability to go off script.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Brendan o Connor was a miles better presenter then the pair of them on the Saturday night show, yet they fired him when his ratings were at an all time high.. . :confused:

sxt wrote: »
    Brendan o Connor was a miles better presenter then the pair of them on the Saturday night show, yet they fired him when his ratings were at an all time high.. . :confused:

I don't know if I would go as far as saying miles better. Personally I thought BOC was "ok". He certainly was not that bad considering he does not have years and years of experience on tv and radio like the two R's. But meh I don't think we should aspire to BOC's level. We need better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

No one has ever come close to Gay Byrne. He was incredible....and still is. Watch him on The Meaning Of Life. He still has it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Ally Dick wrote: »
    No one has ever come close to Gay Byrne. He was incredible....and still is. Watch him on The Meaning Of Life. He still has it[/QUOTE
    Dont like him..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Gay Byrne is a smug asshole. Just because he was stupid enough to lose his money RTE gave him another job asking Hozier about his feelings about God. Seriously who cares?
    He was also chairman of the Road Safety Authority without ever doing a driving test.
    All of those people who adore Gay should watch his interview where he ambushed Annie Murphy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Personally I think Derek Mooney would do a better job than Darcy & Tubridy. He is a personable old fellow......

Personally I think Derek Mooney would do a better job than Darcy & Tubridy. He is a personable old fellow......

Hmmm. He is actually,

How do you think he would do when required to go harder? E.g Paddy Cosgrave interview this week for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Hmmm. He is actually,

How do you think he would do when required to go harder? E.g Paddy Cosgrave interview this week for example?

Well Tubridy seems scared to probe any guest (and is awkward around lots of them) while Darcy seems bored of his guests.

Mooney would have none of the above issues I think.....

Advertisement