Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Event Idea

Options
  • 07-11-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

To all Dublin Chess clubs.

The following is an idea to give players an opportunity to play rated games and an opportunity for a club to get some funds together.

Pick say the first Saturday of each month.

Make your club room available and oversee the following rated event.

(BTW This is not a tournament, there are no prizes.)

Run a three round event, with games at 10, 2 and 6 o'clock.
    Time limit of ninety minutes plus thirty seconds a move as in a regular tournament.

Players attending may play one two or three rounds as suits them on the day.
    E.g Up from the country, wife goes shopping, play round one, do not play round two as you get measured for a new suit for your daughters wedding, play round three when wife goes to a show.
    Charge €10 per person whether one plays one two or three games.
    Results sent to ICU ratings officer for rating purposes. I have spoken with him and he is happy to rate such an event on the basis proposed.

BTW all players to have entered fifteen minutes before each round.
    Draw for each round done as follows:

Top rated player plays second rated player.

Third rated player plays fourth rated player etc.

If say seeds one and two also play a later round, then 1-3, 2-4 in other words you cannot play the same opponent twice on the same day.

Benefits: Opportunities for players to play extra games without having to give up an entire weekend.
    Guarantee of playing someone of your own standard.
    A regular income for the chess club that sets the standard.

Please comment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭midajoh

I think this is a fantastic idea, but I would have some sort of prizes to attract more players. Perhaps half the money on the day goes towards the club hosting and the rest as prizes. first of it's important to know
    How many clubs are interested then have a draw where and when the event takes place. I know you have only mentioned clubs within Dublin, what about other clubs outside the area.? For instance I play for Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

midajoh wrote: »
    I think this is a fantastic idea, but I would have some sort of prizes to attract more players. Perhaps half the money on the day goes towards the club hosting and the rest as prizes. first of it's important to know
    How many clubs are interested then have a draw where and when the event takes place. I know you have only mentioned clubs within Dublin, what about other clubs outside the area.? For instance I play for Drogheda.

I suspect it would only be feasible if run by a Dublin club.
    One would expect that on the first Saturday of each month several players in the Greater Dublin area might be available to play. They along with country players in Dublin for the day could make this format successful.

I personally don't like the idea of prizes, remember some players play one game,some two and a few three. At most I would consider the player with the best result getting his entry fee returned. This event is in the main for players who find themselves with a few hours on their hands on the first Saturday.

Remember it should also be easy for the host club to run and making/calling/running it as a tournament makes it too formal.
    Also it must be financially viable for the host club to ensure the event continues monthly.

One could also consider a staggered start for example, round one begins at ten o clock. Two players rated within 150 points of each other turn up at eleven o clock .they could then immediately play each other being within 150 ratings points as in League rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Debornie

Great idea. I think someone needs to just do it and get it going now. It's worth a go

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Debornie

Danville, I have sent an email to the committee of the LCU and we think this idea might work and I have someone willing to host the first one in February unless you would prefer your club to host it. I think it would be a good way for clubs to raise funds while allowing those players who don't play all the weekenders to process their ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

I am from a country club and am delighted to hear that a Dublin club may host the event.
    Feel free to make any changes whatsoever to my original idea. I put it forward as a skeleton of an idea and allow anyone carte Blanche to flesh it out. Best of luck with it to whoever runs it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement