Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing marks for size of writing?

Options
  • 07-11-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    I'm a 6th year student and i'm just wondering if it's true that you can be docked marks for small writing. I write about 16 words per line and my english teacher tells me I need to write 6 pages for King Lear for example but I would be coming in at about 4 pages because of my writing. She doesn't see this, she just says i don't write enough but surely the examiner takes into account size of writing. She said I could achieve an A2 with the quality of my stuff but will end up with a B3 because of the length. Is this possible?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unlikely. Small writing would only come against you if it was too small to be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

Probably not, but with the long essays I always write way bigger and space out words more. I would write about 16 words per line too usually.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

She doesn't see this, she just says i don't write enough but surely the examiner takes into account size of writing.
    I dunno, it's probably normal teachers like her that will be marking the exam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The marking scheme says nothing about size of writing. It will be corrected according to the marking scheme, as long as it can be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

My writings quite small too and my English teacher has told me that it's fine if I write less pages than others in my class because if we did a word count, mine would be roughly the same as everyone else's! So honestly don't worry about it! Quality over Quantity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

don't make a difference, write as much as needed to answer the question. how long is a piece of string

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

spurious wrote: »
    The marking scheme says nothing about size of writing. It will be corrected according to the marking scheme, as long as it can be read.
    Does the marking scheme say anything about how long answers should be,

Does the marking scheme say anything about how long answers should be,

No.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I also write about 15-16 words per line. My MacBeth essay was about 3.5 A4 pages. I got an A1 in that question ;) If you've answered the question, you'll be fine! My teacher was also hung up on my small writing size until I pointed out that my essays averaged 800-1000 words, after which she said that was more than enough.

You'll be fine!

Advertisement