Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this unusual behaviour for a fox?

Options
  • 07-11-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Spotted a fox this morning, at around 11.30, by the shore of Carlingford Lough. It was lapping water from a stream flowing into the lough for at least 10 minutes. I'm wondering if this is unusual behaviour for a fox. It seemed pretty thirsty anyway! I grabbed my camera but the batteries were dead so by the time I replaced them he was off and this was the best I could do!

[IMG][/img]fox%20001.jpg

...sorry if that photo is a bit too huge! :o

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Not the typical time for a fox to be out, but not very unusual either - it does happen. Might have been a poor night foodwise or maybe some disturbance caused it to be out and about in daylight.

Drinking from the stream I wouldnt think is unusual tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Could also be scavenging on the shores aswell. Dead fish washing up or seabirds and could be well known area for animals to wash up so could be routine of his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Crabs are a not infrequent prey for foxes near the sea.

They drink more when feeding on crabs due to the salt content of the crabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Drinking from the stream I wouldnt think is unusual tbh!

I meant being out and about in a very exposed area, not the water drinking!! Badly written post on my part.

It was very close to houses but there were no people around so I suppose it felt safe enough.

While not the norm, I will see a Fox in Daylight at least once a month in this rural area. If he struggled to find food last night he will venture out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

sudzs wrote: »
    I meant being out and about in a very exposed area, not the water drinking!! Badly written post on my part.

It was very close to houses but there were no people around so I suppose it felt safe enough.

If not being hunted/shot foxes can become tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Lots of sheep farming round me here in rural Mayo. I walk my lane first thing in the morning with my two girls and I have seen foxes 3 times in the past 5 years. In that same period I have found dead fox carcasses 5 times. They are hunted here at night with lights but still lamb losses are constant over the years.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

They can be very relaxed at times,last week i walked up on one that was sunning himself in a dried up stream.I was 10 foot from him/her?,he opened his eyes and our eyes met for a second before he took off.At times as i sit quietly in a wood ,foxes have walked up within a few meters and seem quiet puzzled when they see this human sitting still.they will look for a few seconds before turning and rapidly fleeing.Lots around in the daytime here as it is sheep country.I have seen dead sheep disappear overnight,nothing left but the spine and lots of wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

TopTec wrote: »
    Lots of sheep farming round me here in rural Mayo. I walk my lane first thing in the morning with my two girls and I have seen foxes 3 times in the past 5 years. In that same period I have found dead fox carcasses 5 times. They are hunted here at night with lights but still lamb losses are constant over the years.

TT
    Foxes would kill a small amount of lambs. Singleton lambs would rarely be taken, unless the ewe was useless. Twins would be at greater risk since she has two to defend. Lambs that are dying/very ill/dead would be eaten. If there is a big husbandry problem with lots of lamb dying/ill then the foxes will have a field day.

Breed of sheep would have a bearing on fox predation. Mountainy sheep like black-face ewes which have a greater proportion of singleton lambs are great mothers and protect their lambs to the death. Lowland sheep with a greater proportion of twins/triplets, are not as protective of their lambs and would not be as good as defending their lambs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Foxes would kill a small amount of lambs. Singleton lambs would rarely be taken, unless the ewe was useless. Twins would be at greater risk since she has two to defend. Lambs that are dying/very ill/dead would be eaten. If there is a big husbandry problem with lots of lamb dying/ill then the foxes will have a field day.

Breed of sheep would have a bearing on fox predation. Mountainy sheep like black-face ewes which have a greater proportion of singleton lambs are great mothers and protect their lambs to the death. Lowland sheep with a greater proportion of twins/triplets, are not as protective of their lambs and would not be as good as defending their lambs.

Interesting and informative post, Cap. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wouldnt think that fox is the healthiest looking I have seen. Perhaps its a young fox.

I often see them during the day.

fits wrote: »
    I wouldnt think that fox is the healthiest looking I have seen. Perhaps its a young fox.

I often see them during the day.

He seems fine. A bit muddy from the shore but about right for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

That's right, and Black Face lambs are wiry and strong and quick to their feet when born so easier to protect.
    The popular Cheviot/Suffolk cross lambs in lowland flocks are slow to get going and if the mother is giving birth to a second the first is very vulnerable ..this of course when lambing takes place outdoors, not very common in lowland flocks but some farmers starting to lamb outdoors again with hardier and less prolific ewes and Rams , lack of manpower and ageing population the main reason.
    Shouldn't mean extra takeaway for the foxes though..wasn't a huge problem when we were at it. My father always insisted that after births were gathered and casualties were removed promptly so as not to encourage fox attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Not sure if this is a possibility? Some rat poisons cause the victims to drink a lot of water. Could the fox have eaten sufficient poisoned rodents to become poisoned itself? (Or deliberately poisoned) Might explain it appearing in daylight to quench its thirst? I don't know much about rodenticides or poisons in general, so just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Really don't see what is so strange about this. All over the world predators that live close enough to the coast will often go to the coast looking for food. Foxes will try take seabirds if they must or scavenge for dead ones or dead fish that have washed up. Nothing strange about it.
    If a fox finds a washed up carcase of a seal it'll gorge on it.

Really don't see what is so strange about this. All over the world predators that live close enough to the coast will often go to the coast looking for food. Foxes will try take seabirds if they must or scavenge for dead ones or dead fish that have washed up. Nothing strange about it.
    If a fox finds a washed up carcase of a seal it'll gorge on it.

And not unusual for a Fox to take a long drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Foxes have a habit of patrolling along known routes for food; any fox that lives near the shore is likely to "walk the line" about once a day, checking for dead fish, crabs, carrion, insects etc.
    It probably follows the same route every time, and may mark the best feeding spots or "mileposts" with scats.
    I have often seen local foxes (Dublin suburbs) stop at my small garden pond for a good drink.
    It is somewhat less usual to see a fox by daylight but still it is common enough.

Advertisement