Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI GE72 Apache pro-029

Options
  • 07-11-2015 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting into video editing to then burn onto DVD/Blu-Ray.

I'm no expert on computers etc. but would like to buy an up to date laptop first time around and so future proof myself for the next while.
    I have an 8-year old PC that is only good for MS word at this stage.

I've been googling all sorts of manufacturers and have read mostly positive stuff on MSI although poor tech support and common blue screens are reported.

The Apache I mentioned above has i7-6700HQ Skylake inside, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 960M 2GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD+128GB M.2 SSD, DVD Burner & Card Reader, Wifi, Bluetooth, USB 3.1 and Windows 10.

I'm happy enough (as in the meaning of) with the i7 Skylake and it's abilities and 16GB RAM but what about the 128GB SSD? What's the benefit of having that on the laptop for video editing?
    How do you rate the Graphics card?

Last question, again from the research I've being doing, I understand these are sold as gaming laptops but does that limit their benefit for being a video editor?

I'm mainly on the road so a laptop will really only suit, no desktops. Good rendering speeds would be desired.

Would you recommend this laptop for my needs?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What editing suite do you use??
    Colours are decent, with a Delta E (average difference between natural colours and those displayed onscreen) of 4. It's a decent score, but the best screens get below 3. We measured colour temperature at an excellent 6480 K, just slightly off the ideal 6500 K. As for gamma, it's satisfactory but not perfect: blacks are a little blocked up.

Creative/design = colour accuracy is important. This seems ok, but you could do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

I'll be using Pinnacle. (If anyone can recommend another product, please do).

As for colour similarities, it's not that important to me. The reproduction on the screen doesn't have to be exact, to be honest.

I'd just like a knowledgeable inside view on the above Apache and its capabilities to render etc. without buffering/taking all night.

Cheers.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its overkill for you.

Pinnacle is Avids home skew. It wont use CUDA so graphics card is overkill and chances are if you were doing many-track or colour correction you'd have included that all already.

High end i5, 12GB, 17" display, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

Ok. Thanks for the info ED E.

I'll change my search parameters.

Advertisement