Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Atlantic exclusive rights to HBO content?

Options
  • 07-11-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Why cannot I get 'HBO Go' in Ireland.
    Is it because of an exclusivity deal with Sky Atlantic? wouldn't the competition authority have had to OK an exclusivity deal like that, or do I just not understand how the competition authority works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is HBO Go available outside the US, I don't think it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yes there's an exclusivity deal for HBO content in the UK and Ireland with Sky,

No, such deals don't in general have to be approved. International distributors have freedom to sell their content to whoever they want. If they couldn't do exclusivity deals the value of their content would be a lot less.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Is HBO Go available outside the US, I don't think it is.

It is in some countries where HBO branded channels are operated. Worth noting that the original US version requires you to have HBO as part of your TV package (and in the U.S., it is a premium level service).

Advertisement