Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rte worldwide?

Options
  • 07-11-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

With itv moving into the republic and tv3 joining virgin media. Is it time for rte to expand into the UK with a commercial station.

It could use it's studios in Ireland relay it's home grown programmes live, use it's vast archive to fill the daytime schedule and buy in some films to fill in the gaps.

Surely the costs are minimal are the rewards are good so long as they don't put the people in charge of utvi running it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's been mooted from time to time but mostly by politicians who would "like to see it" but not necessarily pay for it. RTE themselves don't want it and have no interest.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Anyone remember Tara TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

byte wrote: »
    Anyone remember Tara TV?

It had quite a big following in the uk. Of course it had the additional handicap of having to purchase in all programmes, a problem rte wouldnt have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Ireland was mentioned in the 5 yr plan back in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It had quite a big following in the uk. Of course it had the additional handicap of having to purchase in all programmes, a problem rte wouldnt have.

It was ran from a prefab from RTE in donnybrook and RTE staff wouldn't do anything with it quoting unions. They had to get freelancers from UK in the end to run the channel and it was just too expensive in the end.

RTE staff & top brass want more cash to run it they don't think of the greater good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

afatbollix wrote: »
    It was ran from a prefab from RTE in donnybrook and RTE staff wouldn't do anything with it quoting unions. They had to get freelancers from UK in the end to run the channel and it was just too expensive in the end.

RTE staff & top brass want more cash to run it they don't think of the greater good.

If RTE, TV3, TG4, BBC NI, UTV and perhaps Irish TV you could possibly have a fairly straight forward international channel.

7am Ireland AM
    10am Today
    11:30 Midday
    12:30 TV3 NEWS
    13:00 RTE NEWS
    13:00 BBC NI/UTV Lunch time news bulletin
    13:30 Current Affairs (Prime Time, Insight, TWIP)
    14:30 VB Tonight
    15:30 TSOCS
    16:30 Today
    17:30 TV3 NEWS
    18:00 RTE NEWS
    19:00 NUACHT TG4
    19:30 Ireland Live
    20:00 TV3 News
    20:30 UTV Live
    21:00 RTE NEWS
    21:30 BBC Newsline
    22:00 Current Affairs (Prime Time, Insight, TWIP)
    23:00 VB Tonight
    00:00 News Reports from the above

3 DGs now not to get it off the ground.

From a legal stand point RTÉ would have had to broadcast Tara TV from abroad as the then BCI was not issuing any licences beyond TV3. Though it might have been mentioned in the 2001 act?

No, it was licenced in the UK under the Broadcasting Acts 1990 and 1996 to the best of my knowledge, even though the company was registered in Ireland.

icdg wrote: »
    No, it was licenced in the UK under the Broadcasting Acts 1990 and 1996 to the best of my knowledge, even though the company was registered in Ireland.

Licenced to broadcast from the UK.

Elmo wrote: »
    If RTE, TV3, TG4, BBC NI, UTV and perhaps Irish TV you could possibly have a fairly straight forward international channel.

7am Ireland AM
    10am Today
    11:30 Midday
    12:30 TV3 NEWS
    13:00 RTE NEWS
    13:00 BBC NI/UTV Lunch time news bulletin
    13:30 Current Affairs (Prime Time, Insight, TWIP)
    14:30 VB Tonight
    15:30 TSOCS
    16:30 Today
    17:30 TV3 NEWS
    18:00 RTE NEWS
    19:00 NUACHT TG4
    19:30 Ireland Live
    20:00 TV3 News
    20:30 UTV Live
    21:00 RTE NEWS
    21:30 BBC Newsline
    22:00 Current Affairs (Prime Time, Insight, TWIP)
    23:00 VB Tonight
    00:00 News Reports from the above

3 DGs now not to get it off the ground.

Pigs would fly before getting competitors sitting around a table.

Also why would anyone want to watch Irish news all day? Surely the market is the dramas and talk shows?

• Advertisement

Pigs would fly before getting competitors sitting around a table.

Also why would anyone want to watch Irish news all day? Surely the market is the dramas and talk shows?

The problem with Drama are rights and Equity and Indo producers.

You could add Red Rock, Ros Na Run and Fair City to the line up.

I am thinking France 24 or RT rather than BBC Prime. We have so little in terms of content for a full international channel outside of news.

Competitors in Irish TV need their heads examined, 48% of viewers watch Irish TV in Oct 2015 ... during one of the biggest sporting events!

I suspect you'd have a hard time selling an undubbed Ros na Run to anyone other than maybe BBC Alba.

I suspect you'd have a hard time selling an undubbed Ros na Run to anyone other than maybe BBC Alba.

I never really understood why non-English speaking countries would have an issue with subtitles in their own language, some countries like Italy would need programmes Dubbed but Nordic countries tend to subtitle rather than dub.

It's not necessarily about the content/language in terms of Drama but it is about rights. Equity as far as RTE are concerned are in a Cold War, do you ever wonder why RTE never repeat RTE Dramas? It's because its more expensive than repeating bought in Drama.

English speaking countries, historically at least didn't do subtitles (especially not the States!). In the UK there's been some success with subtitled drama on BBC Four, but I suspect Ros na Run isn't the type of drama they are looking for.

English speaking countries, historically at least didn't do subtitles (especially not the States!). In the UK there's been some success with subtitled drama on BBC Four, but I suspect Ros na Run isn't the type of drama they are looking for.

True but there are more non-English speakers in European than English speakers. I think BBC Four aired a welsh drama and I think picked up Corp 'S Anam or An Brontannas from TG4.

Like Nordic countries most non-English content in English speaking countries is subtitle rather than Dubbed. TG4 actally decided against dubbing adult programming into Irish in the early 2000s from non-English speaking countries, in favour of US serials and subtitles.

Providing Ros Na Run and other TG4 content would make sense on an Irish international Channel.

8pm Fair City (Monday - Thursday)
    8:30 Ros Na Run /Red Rock (Monday - Thursday)

But it still remains an issue for Equity over the broadcasters (though I think they are more lenient with TV3 and TG4)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But it still remains an issue for Equity over the broadcasters (though I think they are more lenient with TV3 and TG4)

I think they would get very short shrift from both TG4 and especially TV3.

I think they would get very short shrift from both TG4 and especially TV3.

Well TV3 have just started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I was thinking more a general entertainment channel drawing on their own resources and trying to sync up with what on its stations in ireland.

Just going by tomorrows schedule it would look something like the following. Probably just proves how poor rte is at the moment :)

7.25 today show
    8.55 kids stuff from rte2
    11.50 leaders questions
    12.30 ros na run
    13.00 rte news
    13.30 7 la
    14.00 nationwide
    14.30 nationwide
    15.00 fair city
    15.30 the gleneagle
    16.0 today
    17.40 nuacht
    18.01 6 one
    19.00 nationwide
    19.30 rachels coastal
    19.57 lotto
    20.00 fair city
    20.30 you should really see a doctor
    21.00 news
    21.30 7 la
    21.55 second captains
    23.00 republiuc of telly
    23.30 hardy bucks

I was thinking more a general entertainment channel drawing on their own resources and trying to sync up with what on its stations in ireland.

Just going by tomorrows schedule it would look something like the following. Probably just proves how poor rte is at the moment :)

Proves how poor Irish TV has been over the last few years.

RTE is filled with repeats
    TV3 is convinced that 50% daytime TV is a good thing
    TG4 continues to do well but is largely repeats as before
    UTV Ireland or what will be ITV Ireland is just that ITV ireland (with a small I)
    Setanta is purely BT Sport, with all the talk of ITV buying TV3 you'd imagine their be talk of BT take control of Setanta.

Setanta is purely BT Sport, with all the talk of ITV buying TV3 you'd imagine their be talk of BT take control of Setanta.

BT sport is there to boost the BT broadband market in the UK. They have no reason to be in the Irish market thats why they linked up with setanta to let them deal with all the crap from the Irish market.

Anyway this channel has happened all ready its called Irish TV and is on sky in the UK and USA.

• Advertisement

Anyway this channel has happened all ready its called Irish TV and is on sky in the UK and USA.

And it's absolute ****e

BT could re-enter the Irish market, they still sponsor the young scientist exhibition.

And thats the best you are going to get for a long long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

folks, theres already an RTE worldwide, in the subscription version of their RTE Player outside of Ireland
    If that is successful then theres no need to do anything via satelite or cable.

If there was one change I would make it'd be that a special international general programming feed (aka channel) be made similar to the news now feed, i.e. show the live programmes or first showings of programmes paralell to Ireland, and fill in any gaps then with other shows they have the rights for
    It'd actually be Tara TV, but online and using programmes that are already on the player, but just properly packaged.

Advertisement