Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into football, gym help

Options
  • 07-11-2015 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,
    I need serious gym and fitness advice for getting back to football. I am playing since I was six. I gave it up at 16 and returned at 18. However, that was 18months ago, and I have lost a lot of strength and fitness. I never was strong, i am only 5ft 7in. My strength was speed. i am currently weighing 60kg, and need to seriously get bigger to be able to play to an acceptable standard. At my current level, i will be killed. At nearly 20 years of age, i can see myself going into a rut. I simply want to play football again. Any good gym programmes(not just bulking) that are tailored to football again. Im not going to be playing inter-county anytime soon, but I will be hoping to play for a team currently at intermediate level. Im not aiming to play again until 2017, because i don't think my standard would be good enough for pre season 2016. I am in a college with a decent gym. I am able to train at the gym in work at weekends, plus the pool. Food advice is also key. Getting bigger is fundamental to compete in squads. I am too skinny right now to do that. I am also not fit enough to sustain 60mins. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Regards :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hi OP.

With regards to your fitness and gym advice, you may get more and better answers on the Fitness forum. They've also a Nutrition and Diet subforum to help you on the food side of things. I'd be the last person who could advise you on those

What is your local club? It may be an idea to start off playing with a lower level to build yourself up to Intermediate level. Maybe your local club has a Junior B or lower level you could train with. I'd say it would be better to get back playing football sooner than later in order to shake off the rustiness in the skills department.

Advertisement